iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Training the next generation of Professional Loggers

Started by 47sawdust, December 01, 2023, 10:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

The latest edition of Northern Woodlands has an article that is very inspiring.
The title is "Lessons in Wood".
It details a program called (MLOFT),Mechanized Logging operations and Forest Trucking program.
It was created 7 years ago by 3 community colleges and the Professional Logging Contractors of the NorthEast.
The program is open to young men and women,typically recent high school graduates.The program runs for 20 weeks,5-12hour days and is better than free.Students receive a $1000.00 stipend.
At the end of the program they receive a CDL permit, work experience operating grapple-skidder,feller-buncher,stroke-delimber,and crane-slasher.
Most importantly is an intensive on hydraulic hose repair and replacement.
All paid for with foundation and government grants,with Jordan-Milton,United Construction and Forestry
and John Deere stepping up to the plate with equipment.
I will try to post a link.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

B.C.C. Lapp

That's interesting. I hope the program works out.   Average age of a logger is getting higher every year.  We could use some young people that want to work.  
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Firewoodjoe

47sawdust

https://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/training-new-generation-loggers

The best I can do so far is to post this audio link.The students and instructor speak for themselves.
Pretty much a win,win situation for all involved
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Plankton

Sounds like a great thing for interested young people getting into the forest products industry! The more availible things like this are the better. Its one of the harder industrys to set your foot into. At least around me you have to know someone AND be a good mechanic/operator to start anywhere. Capitol cost and poor markets are too much anymore for an ambitious person to buy a skidder and have a go at it.

Ianab

This is an introduction to logging course run by the local Polytech (Similar to Community College in US?)

NZ Certificate in Forest Harvesting Operations Level 3 | WITT New Plymouth

A ten week course, most of it practical, on the job with local logging crews. They are onboard with this as the practical side of the course is like a job trial, that they don't have to pay the trainee for. Pass the course and still want to work in the forest, you basically get a job. Training goes up to level 5, and with OSH and Insurance stuff, you basically HAVE to have that training to be let loose in the forest, but the more advanced training units can be done on the job.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kodiakmac

I wish them all luck; both the folks who are putting on these programs and the young folk who are signing up.  

But, it would be a wasted effort in these parts, for several reasons:

(a) logging requires physical effort and a lot of discomfort - and there's low tolerance for both in the young crowd 
(b) it requires commitment as far as showing up on time is concerned
(c) any course put on by Canadian colleges would be so heavy on tree-hugging and diversity/sensitivity that serious students would drop out.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Thank You Sponsors!