iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

makita sharpener 9820-2

Started by losttheplot, September 26, 2017, 04:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

losttheplot

I have been using a makita wet stone sharpener on and off for a few days now and I just cant seem to get the planer knives sharp.

I have been getting a decent grind along the face of the knife and have removed a couple of nicks.

There isn't much of a burr on the back and I have been lapping it after on a diamond stone.

The ground face looks quite dull in appearance its far from a mirror finish.

I have been using the 1000 grit stone.

If anyone has some tips on how to get the knives sharp enough to shave the hair from your arm I am all ears right now  :(

Cheers
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

21incher

I have one that I used for years to sharpen my joiner and planer blades. It always did a great job, but the blades were not sharp enough to shave with. I think the angle of planer blades  keeps them from developing a razor edge that would most likely fracture off instantly when put to use. I never had a problem with the quality of cut after sharpening blades with it. :) 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!