iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick Mechanical Operated Log Turner

Started by tengle, September 27, 2017, 09:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tengle

Hello,

I am looking for technical information/video links /setup info/operation videos of Frick gear driven mechanical log turner.  Any assistance will be appreciated.  Please reply.  Located in PA and sorry, the log turner is NOT for sale.

Terry

bandmiller2

Terry, I'm not much help as that's the first one I've laid eyes on. Is it on a working mill?? If its complete it could be turned by hand and its operation should be apparent. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Terry, I would have thought there would be a couple of old timers here that know about your turner. I don't think they were that popular or maybe hydraulics came along shortly after. Have you ever seen it operate.?? Frank C.

tengle

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 28, 2017, 08:05:04 AM

Terry, I'm not much help as that's the first one I've laid eyes on. Is it on a working mill?? If its complete it could be turned by hand and its operation should be apparent. Frank C.

It is located in one of the old Frick sawmill books / catalogs.  From what others have told me, it is flat belt powered off the mandrel shaft with another set of control levers.  From what I understand, each set of teeth oscillates up and down rotating the log.  It was purchased at a consignment sale and I would like to set it up on our mill.  We are unsure if we have all the parts or placement to make it operational.  I know we are missing the drive shaft and huge drive gear.  If you know of one that is operational, I would love to view a video or contact them for assistance in gather any other missing parts and in setting ours up.  Guaranteed, once operational, I will be posting videos of operation.

Thanks,

Terry

tengle

The change is on with individuals in the forestry industry converting to Band mills. Thus circular mills are starting to go by the wayside.  The other side note is that interest in this subject is diminishing with young individuals.  As an educator, I am trying to keep the younger individuals informed of the way that it was.

bandmiller2

It is the folly of youth to put down old men and their machines. A large special gear, no doubt cast iron, could be problematic. If one can't be found possibly a large chain sprocket could be modified. I would inquire at museums that have logging exhibits, good luck Terry. Frank C.

Kbeitz

When your ready to look for the gear you need look me up.
I live in pa and I can take you to a place that sale's pulleys
and gears by the 1000's If anyone would have something you
could use this place should have it. Also there is a big Frick
in my back yard you can look at.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ron Wenrich

You might want to contact Frickco out in Ohio.  http://www.fricksawmills.com/  They bought all the prints and mfg rights to Frick mills.  I don't think they do historic restorations, but they might have prints that would help you out.  Worth a shot.

The other is D&D Sawmill Services in Chambersburg, PA  http://ddsawmillservices.com/  They were started by a guy that worked at Frick when it was in Waynesboro, PA.  They do historic repairs on old Frick equipment.  They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Bandmills may be more numerous than circle mills, but each has their place.  I worked circle mills for many decades.  Their production capacity is what keeps them in the mix.  Many large mills use bands, but they are the wide version.  Most large hardwood mills use a circle mill for primary breakdown, then advance large cants to band resaws.   

Automation has reduced the numbers needed for the same production rates.  30 years ago, a large mill's production was about 8-10 MMbf/yr.  That has gone up to where some mills are cutting 30-40 MMbf.  That squeezed out a lot of smaller mills when the owners retired.  Stumpage also got expensive. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

tengle

Thanks you for those contacts.  Definitely worth and inquiry.

Terry

moodnacreek

that log turner ran off some type of friction and shaft from the husk. Probably had a foot pedal to raise it.  Where to mount the turner would be important. I would rig a hydraulic motor to it if it was mine. Somewhere I have seen a reprinted frick catalog that showed it.

tengle

Kbeitz:  Thank you and I will be in contact once I determine the size of the gear, the number of teeth need, and all of the other gear info.

Moodnacreek:  Thank you for the information.  I am unsure how it raises up.  Maybe the initial turn of the gear from a line shaft causes it to raise and operate?  And goes down by the release of power to the mechanism???

Terry

Don_Papenburg

In my books on Frick ,  connection to the husk is made by  bevel gears and countershaft w/iron friction pulley which engages a large wood friction pulley on the mandrel of the mill .  engaging is by pulling a lever towards the sawyer causing the friction pulleys to engage ,movethe kickers into the upright position where they move up and down until the lever is reversed , the arms return to lowered position . 
in another book it states that the friction wheel engages two rubber friction wheels
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Corley5

I've got one that looks identical except mine has a Corley Mfg tag on it  8)  It came with a Corley 5 mill I purchased and is still in pieces but it does drive from a shaft off the husk.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawmillguypa

Terry, 
Did you every make any headway with the log turner?
Last fall (2019) I found and purchased one that I believe is complete and possibly never installed. Looks just like your photo. As near as I can tell it has all the shafts, gears, & pulleys required to drive it. All has Frick style numbers on the castings and the date 1895 on one main casting.
Even more interestingly I learned of a "Frick Mechanical Log Turner" installed on a Frick 02 Sawmill with Top Saw in Summer 2020 at Silk Hope, NC. Just spent the Labor Day weekend there at their annual show and saw both the Top Saw and Log Turner in operation. Got lots of dimensions, photos, and some video. Am now ready to hook my Frick Mechanical Log Turner up. 
Still wishing I could get a copy of some detailed information that Frick might have published to go with the log turner.
Terry, I would love to have a phone conversation with you and share information.

Thank You Sponsors!