iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bug help?

Started by wfontjr, October 22, 2017, 02:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfontjr

I just completed a barndominum with an all wood inside. I milled about half the wood myself, the other half from a local sawmill. I built a bed headboard out of oak I have had for 10 years. After moving it in my bedroom I noticed some sawdust the next day coming from one edge. While sleeping this weekend I could hear a bug eating. I sprayed the hole today with an can of insecticide with a long straw inserted into the cavity. Should I wait and listen again or remove it from the house and replace this board? I have used this same wood for the cabinets with no issues. Anyone have any experience?

YellowHammer

Well, that's disturbing!

I'd personally remove the entire headboard outside until I had insured everything was dead.   

Heat is the most effective way to guarantee sterilization.  It's certainly not the easiest. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

wfontjr

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I agree with YH.  Big risk that the insects will spread...the holes and sawdust mean they are leaving the wood and looking to mate, lay eggs, and reproduce.

The spray will not get deep into the wood where they are active.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!