iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting the next chapter

Started by drobertson, September 27, 2017, 05:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

It's been one year since my multiple spinal fusions.  This time its working, good growth, good spacing, weak back, (of course), but this will come around in time... I started another job working for some great folks, Roberts Wood Products.
They run the course, from start to finish, from the log yard thru the kilns, to the flooring unit, and all in between,, pallet cut stock and misc, stuff here and there.  I will most likely be running a new debarking machine, it's set in place now, did some minor machining for it this morning, wiring and plumbing taking place all the while..It would be a fair bet that there be a far bit more dust in the air here than what was in my shed :D  Josh knows of the back issues and is grace filled to find a hole for me to fit in..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

caveman

Good luck with the new gig.  I hope your back continues to improve. 
Caveman

TimGA

Glad to hear your able to work. Really glad you can work around wood. As already mentioned please be careful, good luck.

Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

4x4American

That's great news..now you can get your sawdust fix.  Who knows maybe they'll put you up in the sawyers booth at some point.
Boy, back in my day..

Grizzly

Good to hear!! In particular that you found an employer willing to work with you. I'm about out of chances.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Congrulations.  Glad the surgery worked.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

Welcome back to the land of the working man. I know you never left by choice and I'm sure you're glad to be back at it!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Crossroads

That's great, be careful with that back!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Savannahdan

Wonderful!  Glad to hear the good news.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Glad your back is better.  It is fortunate for the wood products company that they can hire an experienced person like you.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

trapper

On the down side you wont have as much time to spend on the forum.  Still good news.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

redbeard

Good to hear and happy for you! New chapters are always exciting, sounds some good folks you will be working with
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

woodworker9

I feel for you.  I had spinal fusion surgery back in 2012; C5, C6, & C7 in the lower neck are fused together, and I've got a titanium plate and 6 screws in there to hold it all together while the bone grew.

It was a long road to recovery, and getting back to a somewhat normal life.  I can no longer do half the stuff I used to, but I have adapted.  I'm sure you will, too.  Being pain free is what it is all about, so my advise is to be careful, and do your stretching and exercises.  It helps a lot long term.

Good luck with the new gig.  You will get stronger and stronger with time.....
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

drobertson

Well for you folks that responded with encouragement, I thank you, and at the same time sad to inform that I choose not to fight the fight.  They had a good gig lined up for me, and in the mean while I did some light tailing of a bad to the bone Penndu resaw, the job was easy, too easy, for a healthy man,or woman for that matter.  But the fact remains, and I should have known, high production mills have break downs, (slow downs) at times, it's all hands on deck, I just can't hang, I cant' move stuff, I can't cover for folks as needed, limited duty, it's just not fair or right to work at a mill where I can't cover all the bases,,they knew it, but gave me leah way, but I'm a team player, no favors, work or go home,, I chose to go,, heck I sold off my mill on doctors orders,, what was I thinking?  so there will be another chapter,,I really doubt mills will be in the up coming one, thanks again you guys that know the battle,, I tried, I bowed out, brutally embarrassing to show up early to give the news to the boss,  they all said,," Heck of a go, we'll miss you, but understand " dust in the blood has a way of infecting one. The debarker has a nice seat, it was waiting, I have no place in a mill,, I had to prove it to myself before another major set back. thanks again you guys,,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Grizzly

David, I got a lot of respect for you trying but also for realizing it might not be best and bowing out. I've used up all my options with employers and will only be able to putter away here at home from now on. I had to be reminded yesterday when my mind started hoping for options that I simply wasn't capable anymore of pursuing some of those dreams and have to be content with the small ones I can handle. Difficult for anyone who likes to be productive. Take care.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

WDH

David,

Discretion is the better part of valor (old saying).  Hang in there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

You have to be able to Point.  Then someone else needs to follow your lead. Lead, follow or get out of the way. You will get the hang of it. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Darrel

David, I'm not sure what to say except I wish you all the best in the next chapter, whatever may be in store.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

larrydown60

Good luck with the next chapter Give the back a chance to heal good and you might be able to do it again down the road. God only knows what is ahead of you

slider

al glenn

Jeff

Having spent half my life in a commercial sawmill, I know what the work is like. One year our mill sent out 150 something w2s at tax time and we never had more than 10 employees at one time in the two mills and that is counting the secretary, mechanic and truck drivers.   I'd see strong and cocky young backs come in and start their first day, go to lunch at noon, and never come back even to get a check.   Its tough work in a production mill. Every single job. if not on the back, on the mind.  I miss the saw booth, but I do know, that after 5 shoulder operations and now degenerative back disease, I'd never handle it again. I don't have the guts even to try.   You one-upped me David, you gave it a try and I applaud you for it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!