iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this beetle?

Started by Rob in NC, September 26, 2017, 09:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob in NC

I found these in some live pines around my laydown yard - im assuming ive picked these up in some logs ive dropped on the yard but it surprised me they bored live trees. Have I got a major issue here or is this a normal occurrence in pine?

2012 Lt 35 manual

Sawmill Man

"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Sawmill Man

Normally not a problem unless you have a lot of them. I spray with diesel and that usually takes care of them.

Don P

looks like a BTB black turpentine beetle to me too. looks like an elephant snout hanging down from their head and those volcanos usually in lower bark but ive seen them bore the full height of a stressed tree. they smell the sawmill hitting pine and its like the flashing light at K mart, i'll have a swarm coming down the hill.

Rob in NC

will they kill my pines?

I starting thinking about this when I saw it - I could see a problem with a logging deck being susceptible to a host of different types of wood boring insects when your bringing in logs from here there and everywhere. Is there anything you need to treat that area from time to time?
2012 Lt 35 manual

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Brandon1986

It's dead.. that there is a dead beetle...  :D

nativewolf

I don't understand the question: 

Are you asking what they taste like with Pickled Bologna?  You have to ask MM that one
Can you make a moxie smoothie with them?  Got to ask someone from Maine
What can you charge for them?  Ask the goat?
Liking Walnut

Texas Ranger

spray the lower portion of the tree with a malathion mix, touched with a wetting agent, if it rains spray it again.  BTB usually comes in to a damaged tree, either barked or root damage.  More the equipment i would believe.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

flatrock58

Sawmill man  So spraying the tree once with diesel seems to work.  I have been battling turpentine beetles for years and have lost over 50 trees.  I have maybe 5-6 which show new pitch tube now.  On some of the trees I burned the pitch tubes with a propane torch and they have not been back.  On the new trees they keep cleaning out the holes after I melt the pitch.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Sawmill Man

Most of the time once was enough. i would saturate the resin tube and surrounding bark and then keep watch on it every few days and spray again if necessary. If you damage a tree or stack green pine lumber to close to your pines seems to serve as an open invitation to them. I have seen places where they caused considerable damage but thought it highly unusual, conditions must have been perfect for a population explosion. Most of the time there will be just a few down low and you can get to them with a garden sprayer.

ToddsPoint

Our local log dump is full of ash trees killed by EAB.  Hundreds of board feet of ash lumber but I'm afraid to bring any home.  I have several healthy ash trees and I don't want to contaminate them.  Eventually though, they will probably get it too.  Gary 
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Ianab

Quote from: ToddsPoint on October 01, 2017, 04:02:54 AM
Our local log dump is full of ash trees killed by EAB.  Hundreds of board feet of ash lumber but I'm afraid to bring any home.  I have several healthy ash trees and I don't want to contaminate them.  Eventually though, they will probably get it too.  Gary

Able to grab some logs and haul them to a different location that already has the borer, and mill them there?  Once lumber is sawn, and bark is gone, they are safe to bring home to dry. Burn the slabs / bark and any hitch-hikers.

Seems a pity to waste the logs.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ToddsPoint

Quote from: Ianab on October 01, 2017, 06:32:17 AM
Quote from: ToddsPoint on October 01, 2017, 04:02:54 AM

Able to grab some logs and haul them to a different location that already has the borer, and mill them there?  Once lumber is sawn, and bark is gone, they are safe to bring home to dry. Burn the slabs / bark and any hitch-hikers.

Seems a pity to waste the logs.

Hello Ian.  I thought this thread would be a good place to try and upload my first pic.  Will attempt to attach a pic of the log dump.  This may not go well! 

Our log dump is run by the county.  Free to dump organics for residents.  Local arborists pay $300/yr. to dump all their waste.  Logs are free for the taking.  Got to get 'em quick before they're piled up and burned or turned to firewood.  Lots of firewood cutters and a few millers.  I've brought home some gems from this place.  Pic shows mostly ash and maple.  Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

MbfVA

Quote from: nativewolf on September 26, 2017, 06:00:43 PM
I don't understand the question: 

Are you asking what they taste like with Pickled Bologna?  You have to ask MM that one
Can you make a moxie smoothie with them?  Got to ask someone from Maine
What can you charge for them?  Ask the goat?

Shemp risking the wrath of Moe...
www.ordinary.com (really)

Thank You Sponsors!