iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on Deutz engines???

Started by BurkettvilleBob, September 26, 2017, 07:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurkettvilleBob

What's the verdict on the five cylinder Deutz air cooled engine? I've heard people mention good power and the importance of keeping them clear of debris. Longevity, parts availability etc......?

Banjo picker

I had a couple Liebher 921 trackhoes that had the Deutz air cooled engine.  They might have been 6 cyl.  I don't remember.   They were good engines.  Parts were hard to get here in north Miss where i live.  Had to go to the delta to find parts.  This was pre internet days.  May be easier to get now.  Make sure you keep the alarm hooked up to the belt.  If it breaks or comes off (belt) your enginwill overheat in a heartbeat.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Don P

we've been running a loader with a 2 cyl deutz from the 70's in it. turning hyd pumps front and rear. its fogging for mosquitos but I'm amazed. trying to find another or parts to rebuild it, that one seems to be very simple but quite an engine.

sawguy21

I remember seeing them in Pacific and Autocar logging trucks, they seemed reliable enough but were some noisy starting on cold mornings. They never caught on with the truckers and disappeared.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Grizzly

Got one in our farm tractor (DX160). Starts well without hiccups, runs very smoothly, uses small amounts of fuel, and in general works well. Parts is another story and I don't look forward to something going wrong. I second the reminder to keep belts in good order and keep fan area and fins clean. It has been reliable for us though.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

barbender

The only one I was ever around was a 4 cylinder, or maybe it was 3, I don't remember. It was in an asphalt roller. Not the same workload as a skidder or other piece of forestry equipment, but it was a heck of a good engine. A little smoky on cold starts, it cleaned up and then it ran great. It was really easy on fuel as well. I don't believe I ever had a single problem with it, over about 8 seasons of use. As far as I know, 6 years later it's still out there doing it's thing. I know we updated with a new roller, same model redesigned, it had a Kubota diesel in it and a higher frequency vibratory system that drew more hp, and that machine went through noticeably more fuel- I'm guessing twice as much.
Too many irons in the fire

pinefeller

got a 5 banger in the c5d, 10k hrs starts beautifully. out pulls a 540 deer, sips fuel 5 gal/day
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Banjo picker

For those looking for a possible parts place.  I just checked where I bought mine when i needed something,  an they are still in business.  The place is called Ipsco and is located in Leland Mississippi.   They run irrigation pumps with them just about round the clock.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

central pa

From what I hear its a good  motor . I just rebuilt a 4cyl didn't have any problem getting parts

lopet

Been around those air cooler all my life. What I like most about it that you can do a individual head, jug or piston, without stripping everything down.

Without a water jacket they're definitely harder to start. Good compression and lots of cranking amps help.  :)

Parts are not a problem for me, I have a dealership within twenty minutes.  Even if it has to come from Germany they have it in a week.

The only reason the new ones are liquid cooled is, they had to meet the  new standards for noise level and emission.
912 and 913 series  are still being built in Argentina, so they will be around for a bit longer.

We did one four banger with the after market rebuild kit and it's surprisingly still tight, but only has about 700 or 800 hrs on since.   

What are you looking at,  Tree Farmer ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

pinefeller

noise is halfway between a deer and a cat starts good down to about ehh...10f without help. need some cold weather to try out the oem flamethrower i fixed this spring....its gotta be a farmer or a jack what else did they come in?
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

BurkettvilleBob

Yup Treefarmer, C5, something that was listed on Craigslist last year and came up again. I wanted it last year and now I'm still interested. If I had my druthers I'd probably look for a 540, but they're much more spendy. I like the idea of a cheap skidder that doesn't have a Detroit in it. I just don't know if I could stand the noise, I know my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it! Thanks for the input guys. I may go take a gander at it this weekend.

woodmaker

I have a 4 cylinder in a screening plant,turning a 30k,  3 phase generator It has been extremely reliable,starts right up after months of non-use,and runs until you shut it off. Make sure the belt tension shut off works correctly,and take the cylinder head cover off frequently, the mice love to build nests between the heads.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

pinefeller

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on September 26, 2017, 09:26:04 PM
Yup Treefarmer, C5, something that was listed on Craigslist last year and came up again. I wanted it last year and now I'm still interested. If I had my druthers I'd probably look for a 540, but they're much more spendy. I like the idea of a cheap skidder that doesn't have a Detroit in it. I just don't know if I could stand the noise, I know my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it! Thanks for the input guys. I may go take a gander at it this weekend.

that is precisely why i have mine! ive ran a 518 grapples (hands down favorite, most comfortable to run and ergonimic) 640d (second favorite, most productive) 540b (waste of time,too small for seroius production without beating it to death, very expensive to repair) and my c5 with a deutz. (good balance of power,economy production, ease of maint and  price for my part time use. and did i mention they are built like a brick ... uhhhh well you know. they make deers look like a tacoma parked next to  semi truck side by side.. very well made and simple they just have little quirks you have to get used to like no propriety valving so you cant steer and run the blade at the same time and they are stick so you have to be patient decking and skidding. best bang for the buck though.

KGTC4D

Just curious how much oil your 5 cylinder Duetzs are burning in a day?

pinefeller

0 between 200hr oil changes, but i seem to have a pretty low hour engine. on every other skidder ive ran, 1 gal for every 100hrs

Logger RK

I have a C5D with 5 speed & 5 cyl Deutz. Mine has a Esco arch & I changed out the grapple with one from a 640 JD. We do some chipping & the large grapple does real good for skidding tops to the chipper. Mine has been very dependable & cheap to run.

KGTC4D

Mine is close to that.  Everyone running 15/40 oil?

KGTC4D

Logger RK

Oliver05262

I didn't see where you are from, but Holtry's have been good to me http://www.deutzboyz.com/.
I have been fortunate in the last year or so to work on some uncommon tractors and they have come up with the parts and e-mailed me parts catalog pages when needed.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

ScottAR

Another source for parts should anyone need them.  Don't see as many around these days but they are out there running irrigation wells all year in this area.  These folks usually have 20-30 engine backlog.

Put this in google and get the phone number. 

Dec Engines Inc, State Highway 135, Lake City, AR
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

mike_belben

RCS diesel service in ludlow mass has parts.  Ive worked there on and off for 15 years.. Many a deutz with a gazillion hours came apart looking great.  Where a detroit would have the ports nearly closed off from burnt carbon.
Praise The Lord

jwilly3879

We have a 6 cylinder in our 240a. The preheater was removed by the previous owner and it starts well down to zero or a little below Big minus numbers call for a sniff of ether). Sips fuel, burns no oil and pulls everything it needs to.

Before this I worked with a C5D and it never gave any problems. The planetaries were a different story.

Thank You Sponsors!