iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big load of high-grade poplar

Started by PA_Walnut, September 25, 2017, 06:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

I have a couple+ loads of high-grade, and big poplar. What's it bringing in the markets these days? They are mostly in the 16"-24" range and bucked 8-12'.

Nice, older-growth material. Weaber is a short drive.

Thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

treeslayer2003

never buck tulip at 8' mostly they like 12. if its clean should bring .40-.80 maybe more.

Plankton

Generally not a great idea to buck logs before you know the mill there going to. Around here they like 8' 8" and 17' 6". Just cut a few last week to go in a mixed load. Even at 36" on the stump and clear they won't pay to well. I think it's 120 or 150/mbf something like that.

PA_Walnut

Had to buck them to get them to the landing...difficult site on a critical timeline.
Nice stuff. If mills won't purchase, I'll saw it!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

treeslayer2003

plankton, for tulip poplar? you gotta be kiddin.
pa walnut, your not far from here, i know there has to be markets near you. find log buyers not sawmills.

PA_Walnut

TreeSlayer, thanks. I have a couple log buyers taking a look.
With this heat, I want to get it gone this week. I wish Fall would finally arrive! :(
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Plankton

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 26, 2017, 12:04:39 AM
plankton, for tulip poplar? you gotta be kiddin.
pa walnut, your not far from here, i know there has to be markets near you. find log buyers not sawmills.

Oh no woops just straight popple I guess aspen it would be called. Misunderstood OP. Ignore my post.

dustyhat

I have been paying .40 Cents here on butt logs, but im a ways from you. but good sized poplar should bring a little more. small logs around 12 inches about 30 cents.

PA_Walnut

It's nice stuff. Good sizes (I painted sizes on ends of some to give a sense of scale), skidded out for easy pickup. Should be a buyer's wishlist.

There's 30 logs with an estimate scale of 6000ft International scale.

If someone here wants them, will give preferential treatment, AND pay the forum fee.

LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!