iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut Stumps

Started by Ozarks, September 29, 2017, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarks

Hi,
This is my first post in this forum.  We live in the Ozark Mts in Arkansas. We got hit hard by a tornado several months ago.  We lost about 100 acres out of our 200 acres.  Most trees were totally uprooted. We are wondering if there is a market for Black Walnut stumps.  As I said  most are totally uprooted.  I'm not sure how many there are but probably close to 100.   All dimensions. We are still in the process of cutting them off the stump.  Wondering if we need to leave a certain length attached to the stump to make the stumps more usable.   Does anyone know who we can contact?  I've been researching and researching.  Thanks so much for any advice. 

Texas Ranger

Used to be a Warsaw Gunstock company in Missouri that bought stumps for grips and such, may be a different name or company by now./
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

Oh, and welcome to the forum, pull up a stump and sit a spell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ozarks

Thanks for the info @Texas Ranger   I'll check into the company in Warsaw.   lol  I have a lot of stumps to choose from ;)

Shotgun

One of our members is a gun stock maker and worked for a gun stock manufacturer in MO.  He attended the 2017 pig roast, but his FF handle evades me at the moment.  I'll try to find/remember it and post it here.

Edit: His name is "gunhandle" and he hails from Warsaw, MO.  You might try a private message to him. He doesn't post much, and probably won't see a post on the forum.  Last active August 8, 2017. Good luck.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

tule peak timber

We use larger stumps for art pieces. Sawn into a cube of sorts and polished up -quite saleable .Sorry about all those trees, time to make lemonade from lemons ! Welcome to FF.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mike_belben

Welcome aboard, and glad youre alive to post about it.  Good luck and God Bless.
Praise The Lord

LeeB

Sounds like you might be from Viola?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Shotgun

Ozarks,

Our FF member 'gunhandle' is from Warsaw, MO and has worked for Warsaw Gunstock Company.  He might be a good contact to get info from as well.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

mmrz

Glad to hear there is use for the stumps!

PA_Walnut

Interesting thread...I have thought about sawing-up big stumps. Lots of work, I presume:

• Loaded with dirt, so you'd have to clean/ Still pockets of dirt and ingrown rocks may remain. (I often pressure wash logs).
  • Pain to get onto the mill dude to odd shape/length.
  • Drying seems like it would be problematic ,but interesting material,

Here's some good reading about it. http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Sawing_a_Black_Walnut_Root.html
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

I have sawn several Walnut stumps and I can assure you that they are no fun.  You spend hours with a pressure washer and there is still hidden sand/rocks.  Loading is problematic and then there is turning, positioning, and clamping.  Chainsaw trimming is a necessity and I still had a root to reach down and snap off a hydraulic fitting on my log clamp.   :-\

I would want an 8' log left on the stump which would lay on the sawmill bed and leave the stump overhanging.  Because of the unbalanced and unsupported stump, for the first two face openings, you would need a FEL.

Better you than me.  Sawing stumps is a very time consuming endeavor. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

mike_belben

A handy tool thatll help you scrape the dirt off is a limb with a nice comfy "grip" and a dog leg at the bottom..  Kinda like hunting for the right stick to whittle a cane out of...   Anyway hammer a bunch of 4" barn nails through the working end all random like a porcupine on a bad hair day.  I made it for scratching up the garden but its my best tool for un-dirting the stumps in my burnpile. 

Scratch scratch, hose, scratch scratch, hose, etc
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

Quote from: tule peak timber on October 03, 2017, 11:19:59 AM

Next time I am in CA I am going to setup a cot in the corner of your shop and enjoy the show.

tule peak timber

25 cents to get in ,,,,100$ to get out... :D :D :D

Crusarius

Ozarks

Quote from: mike_belben on September 30, 2017, 07:18:03 AM
Welcome aboard, and glad youre alive to post about it.  Good luck and God Bless.

Thanks for the welcome!  For sure, we are truly lucky to be alive. It was in the middle of the night, no basement and no warning.  it was terrifying.   When we ventured outside,  it looked like a war zone.  We had a lot of buildings/barns destroyed and lost 100 acres of our trees, but we, our animals and the house made it thru.  I'll be glad when the clean up/logging is over with, they estimate several more months.   

Ozarks

Quote from: LeeB on September 30, 2017, 07:46:52 AM

No, about 6 miles west of Parthenon Arkansas  back in the hills ;)

nativewolf

Quote from: Crusarius on October 04, 2017, 12:48:53 PM
Quote from: tule peak timber on October 03, 2017, 11:19:59 AM

Next time I am in CA I am going to setup a cot in the corner of your shop and enjoy the show.

I am thinking you'd have more fun visiting the kitchen, rummaging for leftovers and then sitting in the shop.  Oh..wine cellar..forgot to mention that. Yes, kitchen, wine cellar, then quite as a church mouse in the shop. 
Liking Walnut

Crusarius

tule peak timber

The door is always open , the beer cold, and the BBQ hot.

Crusarius

hmmm 39 hour drive. how far are you from glamis I miss the dunes.

tule peak timber

LeeB

Quote from: Ozarks on October 04, 2017, 04:24:24 PM
Quote from: LeeB on September 30, 2017, 07:46:52 AM

No, about 6 miles west of Parthenon Arkansas  back in the hills ;)

Not too far from me as the crow flies but it would take a while to drive around.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!