iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Log Ever on my Sawmill

Started by 123maxbars, September 23, 2017, 10:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

After finally finishing my Wood-Mizer Kiln I am back to sawing, I figured the kiln is hungry so I better get to feeding her.

I put a Black Walnut log on the mill today that had lots of promise,  The log yielded 6 live edge slabs that I cut at 9/4 thickness. This log produced the best figure I have ever gotten out of a log in my 7 years of sawing. What a day! Made a video to show my work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOUx4DxAIE&feature=youtu.be
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

justallan1

Thanks for the video. Nice slabs for sure.

Savannahdan

Nice!  Thank you for sharing the video.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

Nathan,

You best hide those slabs.  I know just about there you live  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Max,

Happy to hear about the kiln. Let us know what the finished slabs look like and how they survive the process. Neat video and pretty wood.

Now go give your mill a good bath! She's been working hard and deserves a good cleaning to get that black crud off the cover at the start of the video. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

Quote from: WDH on September 24, 2017, 07:50:46 AM
Nathan,

You best hide those slabs.  I know just about there you live  :).

Come on up Danny and bring some of your best stock, we can do some trading!
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 24, 2017, 08:41:19 AM
Max,

Happy to hear about the kiln. Let us know what the finished slabs look like and how they survive the process. Neat video and pretty wood.

Now go give your mill a good bath! She's been working hard and deserves a good cleaning to get that black crud off the cover at the start of the video. :D

I agree, a good bath is in order,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WV Sawmiller

I brought home some walnut today that a friend cut behind his house. When I cut them may have to compare notes with you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PA_Walnut

Dry that really slow, lest the crotch grenades!  :o
Nice material!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Crossroads

Wow, that's a nice chunk of wood, thanks for the video!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

ToddsPoint

Seal the feather with anchor seal just like you seal the ends.  Most will survive if you seal them.  Some check no matter what you do.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

dboyt

Nice log.  Bet you're really glad to have that Bobcat to help you.  Good luck with the Osage orange.  Try to keep the thorns out of your hide (& out of your tires)
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!