Lower ball joints, (yotas)

Started by drobertson, September 22, 2017, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Ok, a quick intro,, my 97 tacoma, two wheel drive was the youngest sons truck,, I inherited it. It's been a good one, way over 200K, its been through two college tours and two young men,,I put new rubber on, and a outer tie end on the passenger side a few months back, everything else was tight and good.  Well after my trip Monday to the Cape for my (hopefully) last spine doc visit, and I did drive the wife's car,, she called later that day and said how sorry she was that I had to drive the piece of junk,, I said "what"??  it's horrible she said,, I got home, we talked, and I assured her it was just fine, just fine!  right,,well the next day's trip to the lumber yard I noticed it did feel weird,,it wasn't until I came back from the shed for lunch that I knew why,, bottom plowing the lane,, this said,,it's jacked up, and tie end loose, housing that holds the ball off,, but the ball is still stuck in the lower housing,, I've heated, beat, jacked, sweated, and more sweated,,you guys have any other ideas of separating this? I have it jacked up, not a lot of swing with the hammer, I'm in a field,, not in the shade either,, missed it by 30 feet,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

I have a tool that looks like a giant c clamp with adapters if they are pressed in, or chisel off the rivets if they are riveted.  There are tapeded pickle bars that are like a 2 prong tapered chisel that separate them pretty easy. They also come in a smaller size for tie rod ends. Most places will let you borrow the tools if you buy the parts from them.  Good luck. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

B-I-L had one of those, think about that year.  It was shimming down the road a little too much so he took it in to Toyota.  They put it on the lift and discovered the frame was rusted out and a safety hazard.  They wouldn't let him drive it out of the lot and bought it on the spot.  He was unhappy but they paid a lot more than it was worth so he bought one about 10 years newer.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

drobertson

thanks you guys,, yea, I soaked, beat, soaked heated beat some more, turns out I unbolted the lower housing and used the trusty ole one ton's stake pockets to get the ball out,,mercy, had I done this from the git go, I would be back on the road, lots to learn, sometimes patience can lead to prolonged agony, maybe its more hard headedness ;D probably the case,front end work on a lane in a field,,ain't much fun,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Hilltop366

Quote from: drobertson on September 22, 2017, 09:15:52 PM
sometimes patience can lead to prolonged agony

I think this could be the quote of the week. :D

jwilly3879

A friend once told me, "There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid." I have crossed it many times but fortunately I don't get too far into the stupid anymore, but I get there.

He also said, "if it ain't easy you're probably doing it wrong."

drobertson

I've got the yota in the drive, lower ball joint in and secured,, left to do is the outer tie end and the upper,, we haul off recycles and trash out here and I do believe I have some pig fat mixed with my grandson ollie's, poop diaper? either way it is ripe and will be hauled in the morning. Parts in hand for the rest of the fix, at least now I can get in the shop with power and shade,