iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PATU Chipper Question

Started by backpacker, September 22, 2017, 01:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backpacker

Good Day: I wonder if anyone is using a PATU DC65

, pto driven chipper? I ask as I have such and it works well[ using a CASE D40] to run it.
However it tends to be slow discharging cuttings at the output of the discharge chute and in turn plugs itself in the vertical section, down to the actual cutting knifes.
Of course dry material works best, but even then chips will start to acculmate on the lower lip of the discharge chute. I have cut 24 inchs out of the vertical portion of the chute and performance is better. The lower chute height  actually helps in the storage area access.
I wonder if I enlarged the air intake holes around the cutter cage, it will suck in more air and likewise push a higher volume out the discharge chute?
Has anyone ever domne so or have a similar hiccup with this model?

sandhills

I don't have a chipper but our silage cutter is the same principal and when that starts happening it's usually time to line the top half of the chute, once they wear too much that's exactly what happens.

backpacker

Tks for the comment, this machine did it since new, had paint still on it when i got it, and used a MF25 on it, too small/just barely enough HP, so I cut the chute and it was usable but frustrating. The Case is 40HP and is much better but still the discharge clogging problem.
I can live with it, its only used once a year to chip Christmas tree remains after the limbs are picked for wreath material, and then its a reminder every year of the problem :]
I will look at the top side of the chute and at least sand and paint so its smooth, can't hurt.
Regards

Holmes

I had 1 it worked ok when I bought it ,used, .I had the blades sharpened and it worked much better  never clogged up.  Kind of sounds like the blades are not installed to the correct tolerance ,maybe taking to large of a cut, pulling the wood in to fast and not discharging the oversized pieces.  Best to buy new blades ,they are dang tough to sharpen.. Mine would not pull the wood into the knives so I had to force the wood in, once sharp it pulled the wood right in.
Think like a farmer.

Ed_K

You'll be shocked at the price of new blades. I have the canadian version,I just replaced the 3 blades at $177, I run mine with a 60 hp tractor and it plugs up also. On mine there is no adjustment the blades sits in a pocket and if I put a shim in behind (.015) the blades hit the anvil.
Ed K

backpacker

Morning: Yes the blades are next to look at anyway as they do get a rusty covering just from sitting around, they do chip good, and maybe a bit too large? Will look at that aspect also.
I found it plugged with a 60hp tractor also with the orginal full height chute, that was a try it machine and not its full time power unit.
Shortening the chute made a good improvment using the 40 hp tractor, maybe a shorter chute and 60hp is the answer?
Didn't know there was a "canadian" version, whats the differences? or just your location is " Canadian" as is mine.

maple flats

I was a dealer for them back in the 90's. Make sure all of the air holes are clear. Sometimes they tend to get plugged and then you get poorer discharge. Also, if chipping things like grape vines and other finer things, keep a few nice 3-4" relatively straight logs near by, they help clear the discharge if used soon enough. While I'm no longer a dealer, I still use my old demo unit clearing brush and vines from my blueberry fields. I generally only chip down to 3-3.5", larger than that gets bucked for firewood. Another thing that helps is keeping the knives real sharp. I find a good way to sharpen the knives is on a belt sander. Mine is only 4x36 but helt at the right angle it does the entire width of the knife and does a uniform job. My unit is manual feed and I sharpen it as soon as I start to need to push the brush/limbs in rather than have the chipper pull it in by itself. I've been using the 6.5" Patu chipper since 1992 and the knives will last me the rest of my life and likely that of the next owner too
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

backpacker

Morning: You described exactly what I find with my unit, except i use the milling machine for sharpening, I don't see why the belt sander wouldn't hurt to really touch them up.
I too find that a good piece of material along with the vine or brush stuff helps clear the chute.
May your chips flow free...:)
Tks

Brad_S.

I have a similar issue with my new Woodmaxx. I have read that the reason is the discharge fins allow too much room between them and the shielding. Somewhere online is a tutorial on how to use conveyor belt material on the end of the discharge fins  to fill that space thereby cleaning the discharge chute much better and throwing the chips farther as well.

Edit:  here is a tutorial.
https://youtu.be/zsI8tFcFbRE
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!