iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Creative Cottage Retreat

Started by Josef, September 21, 2017, 02:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josef

Last year a good friend asked if I could help him build a cottage as a gift to his wife that she could use as a retreat, he brought me a picture from the net of what he envisioned. She is a writer and artist, very well versed in faeries and dragons, woodland creatures and gnomes. He wanted to give her a cozy place to foster her creative endeavors, and I think what we built will fit that bill.

This was my first project done start to finish with my mill and I have to say I'm hooked. With the exception of the pressure treated floor framing and advantec flooring underlayment (and osb) the complete building package I milled, dried and planed. We started by fabricating the framing components and assembling it on my shop floor this past winter.

After disassembly we stained and sealed all the parts, and started planing and putting t&g on all the interior materials, white washed white pine for the ceiling, spruce for the interior walls and trim and ash for the floors.

The exterior is all shiplap hemlock, walls and trim, left rough off the mill.

The cottage has no plumbing, its a short walk from their house, but it does have electric and a mini split heat/ac. The window seat hides a trundle bed for guests and grandkids.

We installed the spalted maple slab desk and finished it today, tomorrow is her birthday.
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

reelman65

wow!! that looks awesome!! great work
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

WV Sawmiller

Very cool. Let us know when her next book hits the #1 spot on Oprah's reading list.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jayhdjr

Logosol M7, Stihl 041, Stihl MS 310, Kubota B26

Savannahdan

Very, very nice.  She and the family will enjoy that for many years.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

rjwoelk

Most exquisite. Good job all around.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Wow Joe, that is quite a build.    smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

She will soon be bragging to her friends about that. That will be on facebook big time!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DPatton

Anyone else think her next novel just might be about a wizard carpenter builder named Josef? :D :D :D Great build and great photos, thanks for sharing them.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Josef

Thank you all for the kind comments, it was a fun build, no real deadline other than his wife's birthday, so very relaxed schedule. It was my first project where I wanted to use all the materials I could off my mill and out of my solar kiln. Made a lot of shavings. My friend and I got to spend a lot of time in our thinking chairs during the build solving the worlds woes, bragging on our grandkids and reminiscing about long ago adventures abroad. Funny how time spent in good company makes the days go by.

The desk slab was from a salvaged maple log that had spalted a bit, it was my first try at glueing up and finishing up a live edge slab, found it's not as easy as it looks, I have a lot of respect for you guys who can make them glass smooth.

A recurring thought during the build was how we have a beautiful live oak on our new property in Georgia that this cottage would make a great treehouse in. Gotta pursue that train of thought.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

69bronco

Great job! You should be proud of that one!

breederman

Together we got this !

SlowJoeCrow

That has to be her best birthday present ever, wow!!

Larry

That's impressive.  Did you build from plans?  Any idea of how many hours you have into it?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Josef

No real plans, my friend printed out a picture from the net that we worked from. I did lots of sketches to put together a material list, didn't want to be short of components when milling and drying. I usually build a model of new designs, but as I could prefab and assemble it in my shop it wasn't necessary.

The actual hours spent is a bit sketchy, I know it took 27 hours to size, plane and assemble the frame, and I spent a total of 13 days at the site initially, on average about 3 hours (productive) per day, so 39 hours to get us under roof. From there at least twice those hours on interior, wiring, trim and finish. I guess its at least 120 hours on the project. Oh, and I don't paint, so all the painting was done by my friend during the construction so everything was painted prior to installation. And I hired outside help to assist with the shingles, seems I'm not as agile as I once was on a 12/12 pitch roof.

Joe

21incher

Wow what a great little retreat. Thanks for sharing.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

I am also very impressed.  Beautiful quality work.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

You will have to wait for one to come it to the junkyard and post it to let us know when it comes in. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 23, 2017, 05:07:45 AM
Kbeitz,

You will have to wait for one to come it to the junkyard and post it to let us know when it comes in. :D

That's funny ... My junkyard cabin...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/88-my-place/216144-building-cabin-cheap-way.html
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

cbla

Thank You Sponsors!