iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm back after a long, unwanted absence

Started by azmtnman, September 20, 2017, 10:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

I haven't been on here for a while. My vision got so bad I couldn't see my computer screen. I had a fast-progressing form of cataracts. At some point this year I became legally (and functionally) blind. I couldn't see my mill scale after about March, it became unsafe for me to cut trees shortly after that and I quit driving mid-June. I missed a 6 week special elk season I would have liked to hunt. (I can see through a scope well for the first time in several years!) 8) 8) 8) 8)
  Since I do mission work and don't make much money, I couldn't afford to get them fixed. I didn't want to sign up for my state's medical assistance but somebody reminded me I was eligible for VA assistance. That was a process that started in May.
  To make a long story short, the Good Lord took care of me  and I got my right eye fixed last week and now have 20/20 vision back in it. I go for surgery on my left eye tomorrow.
   Excited to get back to work (all facets of it) and catch up on Forestry Forum, especially Sawmills and Milling.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

larrydown60

Good luck tomorrow and the medical field can work wonders now. A couple more surgeries and I could be good for another 100000 miles LOL

Magicman

It's good to have you back in more ways than one and I wish you the very best with the surgery on the other eye.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redprospector

Good to see you back.
I'll be praying for you.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

thecfarm

That all sounds good. And it's good to have you back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jemclimber

Wishing you the best! I hope you get some elk time in.
lt15

Cedarman

Always good to hear good news.  Happy working and hunting.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

nativewolf

Good luck and enjoy the second round of sight!  Just got home yesterday with my wife after her spending days in ICU.

Cataract surgery is amazingly effective and makes you thankful for what we have.  If you like to volunteer in missions take a look at the flying cataract surgery teams that do volunteer work all over the world, bringing your surgery to folks that have no hospitals at all. 

Liking Walnut

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations and thanks for the good news. Hope all continues to go as well with the next procedure.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Gearbox

On my way this morning to see if they will do my other eye . had the left one done 2 years ago . Good luck to you .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

samandothers

Amazing what is possible with surgery.  Use to be remove the cloudy eye lenses and use glass lenses (coke bottle) to correct. Now the eye lense is replaced.

Welcome back.

78NHTFY

...only one's that won't be happy with your restored vision will be the elk!!!  Good luck with the 2nd eye surgery and welcome back to the FF.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Savannahdan

Welcome back and good luck on the second surgery.  My wife will be having her second one this next month.  She has been very please with the first. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

drobertson

Really happy for you!!!  this is a very refreshing read! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

azmtnman

Left eye surgery went well and I survived 24 hours with a patch on it (EXTREMELY irritating to me). I will have 20/20 or better with both eyes! I just need reading glasses but I can see jackrabbits a long ways away!
Excited to get back to work after a week of light duty. Lots to do and catch up on.
Celebrating today by taking some of my goddaughters fishing!  8) 8) 8)
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

Thanks for the good eye report, and it's good to read that your priorities are in order.....fishing!!!   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Good to read a praise report on your vision.  We sure enjoyed visiting your part of the country last year. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

svart ole

Glad to hear the VA came through for you. I know they get a lot of bad press but they are not the same as they where 40 years ago. Hope your get back to making sawdust soon.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

dgdrls

slider

It's good to have you back.Good luck on your recovery.
al glenn

Brucer

My mother-in-law just had cataract surgery on both eyes. She's pleased as anything at the results.

She had her 96th birthday in between the two surgeries  ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!