iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

acid to remove rust

Started by Qweaver, September 20, 2017, 07:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I have several trailer hubs that have surface rust from years of setting in an open shed. I will need to remove that rust before I can put the races in.  I normally  use ospho ( phosphoric acid) to deal with light rust but I think it actually adds a coating to the metal and that may make driving  the races in impossible.  I'm thinking hydrochloric / muriatic acid.  I think farm supply stores carry muriatic.  Almost impossible to clean with sand paper.  New hubs, just old and rusty.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Ayup,my store has muriatic acid by the gallon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Barebuttminer

Submerge the hubs in white vinegar for a few days and the rust will will be gone.
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

Chop Shop

Another vote for vinegar.   Not toxic either.

starmac

I have not done this, but have read that adding a cup of salt6 to a gallon of vinegar helps speed up the rust removal process.
I have also read to wash in baking soda and water when clean of the rust to remove the vinegar.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

I save old battery acid to clean out old rusty gas tanks and to clean up
old metal files that don't work anymore. Then I neutralize it with baking
soda and water. You would be surprised what it does to an old file.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Qweaver

I've got the muriatic  working.  We'll see in a little while.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

TKehl

Just don't leave it too long or it could end up undersized or at least badly pitted.  Muriatic is diluted Hydrochloric.  Don't know if it has an inhibitor or not.   
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Al_Smith

There's a guy in Australia on another forum of old Caterpillars I used to post on .He goes to the fruit market and gets partly spoiled citrus fruits and smashes them up in an old bathtub and sticks rusty old crawler parts within and lets them marinate for a week .
He has stuck entire frozen up tracks from small machines in a trough and says it completely unsticks them and never etches the base metal .

Larry

I occasionally use muratic acid to remove mill scale on hot rolled steel.  It works ok for that but it has a lot of drawbacks.  Getting harder to find the full strength stuff, its dangerous, and stuff flash rusts unless your careful. 

Three much better solutions for rust removal are Evaporust, sand blasting, and electrolysis.  I use all three depending on the project.  Either Evaporust or electrolysis would work on the hubs.  Electrolysis is always the cheapest but takes a little more time to sat up.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Qweaver

I used muratic and it worked well, but it does require a lot of care. About $6 for a gallon jug.   I'd like to learn more about electrolysis.  Where should I look?

Crusarius

The garage journal forum probably has 900 threads on electrolysis. Huge amount of info, what works, what doesn't. #1 thing is DO NOT USE STAINLESS ANYTHING!!!!! stainless puts off a toxic gas when used during electrolysis.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

Thanks for finding that cfarm.  I remember posting that way back when someplace.

I only use washing soda anymore.  I also came across a Rubbermaid stock tank that works great.  When the water gets too scummy for me to stand I drain it out and start a new batch.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Larry,I got it bookmarked. ;)

btulloh

Not familiar with using washing soda to remove rust. Sounds interesting.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!