iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer Resharp and non WM blades?

Started by Magicman, September 20, 2017, 06:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I talked with my WM Resharp in GA today.  Yes, they now resharpen blades from other manufacturers, with one maybe exception.  They got some Cooks blades in last week that they could not/would not resharpen.  The profile was so different that each blade would have had to go around multiple times so they opted to not resharpen them.

They only resharpen 7/8 pitch blades.  The hook angles are maintained, but they are reprofiled to WM's profile.  In other words for example, 4° stays a 4°and 10° stays a 10°.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

Quote from: Magicman on September 20, 2017, 06:01:57 PM

They only resharpen 7/8 pitch blades.  The hook angles are maintained, but they are reprofiled to WM's profile.  In other words for example, 4° stays a 4°and 10° stays a 10°.

That ain't what happened to a fellow forum member.
Maybe it a isolated case, but it still happened.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

JB Griffin

According to my research there are some profiles that wm absolutely cannot match. Might be the case with said forum member. ???
Sounds like they said thats close enough and did um their way.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

JB Griffin

Dave Shepard

WM is not trying to match the nonWM profiles. If you have them sharpen a band, it will come back as a WM profile.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

JB, I stated that I talked with Resharp, GA., and I addressed maintaining the hook angle and grinding the blades to a WM profile.  If the blade's profile is vastly different requiring multiple sharpening trips, they will not resharpen it.

I believe that this is essentially what Marty Parsons said that he does.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I really don't see anything hard to understand about that. They probably should make the customer aware of this beforehand though. Maybe they do in the fine print, I don't know. I do my own sharpening and really need to get some new cams because I've fiddled with mine enough over the years that they don't match anybodies profile now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coppolajc10

Magicman, glad to hear that of WM Georgia. Maybe they can lend a guy to WM Hannibal for some much needed training up here. Woodmizer in Hannibal doesn't give a hoot about maintaining a hook angle. I've been sending bands there for a couple years, 2-3 boxes a year, so not a ton of bands. But, first time I sent them Kasco 4° bands, they came back as 10° bands. Call them up to see what happened ... guy says it matched a 1030 profile better  :o. He says they don't have a protractor there and it's better to just match closest profile instead of maintaining existing hook angle. I have a thread going on this issue, which I think is what JB is referring to, so no need for me to rehash issues that you can read on the other thread. But, I will say, John Storm's (WM corporate) solution is to have the now 10° bands resharpened again to 4°, that is the tip of the tooth so that excessive material is not removed, and for me to personally let him know the results. In other words, they don't want to offer a concrete solution, like pay to replace the bands they ruined, they want instead for me to be a little experiment. I cannot recommend, in my opinion, that anyone send a non-WM band to a WM resharp shop. Find someone who can sharpen the manufacturer's bands that you prefer.

JB Griffin

coppolajc10

Quote from: JB Griffin on September 20, 2017, 07:54:34 PM
That ain't what happened to a fellow forum member.
Maybe it a isolated case, but it still happened.

Not isolated. Saw a thread on FB group for portable mills, and guys were talking about WM resharp. One of them mentioned he has had some Kasco bands come back with questionable hook angle and was going to take some measurements tomorrow to verify.

JB Griffin

If anyone besides the local guy sharpens my blades, it'll only be me or Richard (Cutting Edge) thats it.

JB Griffin

I worked at a mill that had a 4head wm resaw and they bought wm blades and used their resharp. We got several boxes that had only 1 or 2 sharpened blades in them and they didn't touch the rest with no explanation of why.
Also many of the blades wouldn't cut very good, but the resaw was in need of some needed maintenance so all of it wasn't their fault.

LeeB

Not sure how it would be an experiment. to bring the blade to 4 from 10 would only require removing material from the tip. Granted, the NY store did make a blunder and handled the situation quite poorly but I see the offer to repair the blades as being an equitable solution if they are paying shipping.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coppolajc10

It's an experiment because it was presented as a "hey let's try this, and let me know if it works" kinda thing. It wasn't, "hey this is what we've done in the past and It'll fix everything." I've also discussed their option with another professional sharpening guy who says it will not work and regardless is not the best solution.

bandmiller2

We must have some compassion for the professional band sharpeners, its not fun, its as bad as watching Opera reruns all day. If you sharpen your own bands several at a time its interesting almost hypnotizing. If a sharpening service has to stop and change wheels and readjust the machinery every few bands it makes for a long aggravating day. To radically change the profile with a CBM wheel costs money as they wear and don't come cheap. If everyone used the same bands it would be much easier. I have a couple of sharpening customers and use the same cam and hook as I use on my own and have never had a complaint. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

coppolajc10 and JB Griffin, I started this separate topic to relay my conversation with a representative from Wood-Mizer GA., and to state their procedure regarding resharpening non-Wood-Mizer blades.  There was no comparison made regarding any other WM resharpening location other than to state that this follows along with what Marty Parsons does.  Wood-Mizer, GA. has a large operation and this topic was intended to answer any questions that those of us may have that use their resharpening services.

This topic was not intended in any way to refer to the resharpening services at any other WM resharpening location.  I am certainly aware of that situation and if I want to read about it I can go to that topic, and for you to bring those comments here is in poor form. 

barbender

I had blades sharpened by different forum sponsor once, a long time ago. I wasn't very impressed with the service and quality of work. They don't sharpen my blades any more. End of story. No need for me to go around sharing the story at every opportunity, and inserting where it doesn't belong.
Too many irons in the fire

grouch

Quote from: barbender on September 23, 2017, 10:32:17 AM
I had blades sharpened by different forum sponsor once, a long time ago. I wasn't very impressed with the service and quality of work. They don't sharpen my blades any more. End of story. No need for me to go around sharing the story at every opportunity, and inserting where it doesn't belong.

J.C. Whitney sent me 3 pistons for a 4 cylinder engine back in the mid-1980s. Then they sent me 2 more. I don't think I'll try to get them to resharpen my pruning saw.

(Disclaimer: J.C. Whitney did not pay me to post this, but I may send them a bill).

Find something to do that interests you.

coppolajc10

Quote from: Magicman on September 23, 2017, 08:31:05 AM
coppolajc10 and JB Griffin, I started this separate topic to relay my conversation with a representative from Wood-Mizer GA., and to state their procedure regarding resharpening non-Wood-Mizer blades.  There was no comparison made regarding any other WM resharpening location other than to state that this follows along with what Marty Parsons does.  Wood-Mizer, GA. has a large operation and this topic was intended to answer any questions that those of us may have that use their resharpening services.

This topic was not intended in any way to refer to the resharpening services at any other WM resharpening location.  I am certainly aware of that situation and if I want to read about it I can go to that topic, and for you to bring those comments here is in poor form.

Sorry you feel it's poor form. Did you start this thread in response to my thread? Whether you did or not, I felt what I posted was relevant so I shared. Is that against some forum rule? People post information on food in almost every post, is that poor form? People in my related thread went on tangents, I didn't get bent out of shape, is that poor form? Or is it only poor form because it again brings up an issue that reflects negatively on WM? Wish WM and WM users the best, and I mean that. But I think more people, especially WM users, should stop trying to censor other peoples's opinion stating things like "poor form." Just my opinion.

Quote from: barbender on September 23, 2017, 10:32:17 AM

barbender, congratulations. you may have handled a situation similar to mine in a more desirable way. I'm sure you've done that with every situation in your life. My hat is off to you sir.

coppolajc10

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 23, 2017, 08:16:48 AM
We must have some compassion for the professional band sharpeners, its not fun, its as bad as watching Opera reruns all day. If you sharpen your own bands several at a time its interesting almost hypnotizing. If a sharpening service has to stop and change wheels and readjust the machinery every few bands it makes for a long aggravating day. To radically change the profile with a CBM wheel costs money as they wear and don't come cheap. If everyone used the same bands it would be much easier. I have a couple of sharpening customers and use the same cam and hook as I use on my own and have never had a complaint. Frank C.

I'm sorry if I've come off as not having compassion for them. A lot of us have jobs that are tedious. I do appreciate their work. However, no matter how boring your job is, when you make a mistake you take responsibility for your mistake and make it right. That's my beef with this particular band sharpener. I spoke with him for 30 minutes and had a very cordial discussion and he could only explain that changing a 4° band to a 10° band is not a mistake. So it's not that he made a mistake. I make mistakes daily. It is that he and the rest of his establishment refuse to take responsibility for the mistake.

Jeff

You were He was warned, but you he won't be reading this. Again you he accuses of censoring on the forum. Well, you have he has been ultimately censored. If others were allowed to read the post removed last night, there would be much agreement in its deletion, but, that doesn't matter. You have He has proven to be someone I wish to un-invite from my home.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

I understand the frustration with the service coppalajc10 recieved, if it's as he stated. What I have always seen end not well for folks is when they bring it on here and try to use the forum as a tool to force a resolution to the situation. As for this censoring of criticism of WM accusation, I see complaints on here frequently about WM. Not a lot, because they are a stand up company, IMO. I have seen a lot of complaints about quality control on WM blades lately. I've never seen anyone told to not bring that up. I don't think it would've been a problem if coppalajc10 shared he wasn't happy with Hannibal's service or the resolution offered, and left it at that.
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

This is probably one of those threads where it would be wiser to keep off the line but ...

My opinion is everyone, business or individual, makes mistakes and the measure of what kind of person or company they are is how they respond when they realize there has been an error. I am not saying WM is perfect but I will say every time I have dealt with them they did everything possible to quickly resolve the issue to my satisfaction. That is the kind of people/company I want to deal with. If someone had a problem or complaint and never clearly told the person or company they have denied the person/company the chance to make corrections and that is unfair to the person or company.

To their credit I basically hear the same kind or responses for most of the other major sawmill dealers. I met and discussed mills and sawing with probably half a dozen different new people today. They/We had WM, TK, Timbery & Norwood mills and every one talked very favorably about the support they had gotten from their respective sawmill companies. We all discussed our wishes for more bells and whistles but were happy with the values we had gotten for our mills. some more than others and accepted we had gotten what we paid for.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I clearly stated that this topic's origin was a conversation that I had with Wood-Mizer- GA.  I wanted an answer to my question regarding whether they in fact did or did not resharpen blades from other manufacturers.  Nothing more and nothing less.  I knew from a previous experience (when they still used drag sharpeners) that they did not.  There was no hidden agenda and no reference to any other topic.  I felt that since other FF members and guest use WM-GA, the information would be beneficial.

Thank You Sponsors!