iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Saw Under $ 350.00 US?

Started by Brian_B., December 29, 2004, 08:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_B.

I am looking for my first saw. I am only going to clear out about a half acre or so of 6" - 12" Dia. trees. I am not sure what type of trees they are I just don't want them blocking my view of the river. I can't / won't spend more than $ 350.00.

The local Stihl dealer told me that he could service anything but that he was not able to provide me with warranty work on a Husqvarna. He doesn't carry Husqvarna but I would have thought he might know about the 350. He had not heard of that one! It must have been a new model he said?

Husqvarna:
346XP

Stihl:
MS250
MS290
MS310

I am sure that I will be happy any of these or anything else that end up with but I want this to be the first and last saw that I will ever need. I have seriously thought of just getting a Poland Pro like the 295? But they want like $ 250 or so for it and I won't spend that much on a POS!
It's Never Too Later To Have A HAPPY Childhood.

Jeff

I have a 55 Rancher and it suits me well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Brian;
By removing the trees will there be a concern for erosion taking place along the river bank?

Brian_B.

No problem with erosion. Between the river and my house is the Miame Erie Canal. I will actually be removing trees from the canal. This canal is not been used for a hundred years or so and is dry.

Old_Town

I have a Husky 55 also and I really like it. I bought on the internet for $288.50 free shipping and no tax.

http://toolsineed.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm            

This company had the best prices I could find on Husqvarna saws.

Regards,
T

Brian_B.

I think that Norwalk Power Equipment has a good deal on the 55.  http://www.npeco.com/  I checked and it would only cost me $312.53  Delivered with two extra chains! It's probably a toss up. Is the 55 better saw than the 350? I mean how good could it be, they sell them at Lowe's right beside the Homelites and

Brian_B.

I just got off the phone with the closest Husqvarna dealer and his prices were exactly the same as Lowe's and he admitted it to me. He even went as far to say that if I were to buy it from Lowe's that they would send me with any warranty work to him, and that he would probably be too busy to service it.

He wants $349.95 w/ 18" bar plus tax for his 55. I can't afford his saw at that price. This is also his "SALE"

twostroke_blood

Ever Consider A Good Used Saw? I Purchased One Of My Best Saws, An Echo 6700 . For $175 And Its Been A Workhorse.

Jeff

My rancher was used. I paid 200, but ended up having to buy a bar and chain. I havent had any problems, but if you add the new bar and chain to the 200 bucks yer getting real close to new, which is what I wish I had done using hindsite.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

markct

"He wants $349.95 w/ 18" bar plus tax for his 55. I can't afford his saw at that price."

what do ya mean, ya just said ya wanted a saw under 350 bucks, thats under $350 and a quality saw so why not, myself i personaly am a stihl guy, not any good reason to like stihl, just that i worked in a stihl dealer for a while part time and went to alot of the tech courses so there what i am familuar with, i bought a ms 310 stihl last year after getting tired of fussing with my dads old little homelite, its a great saw and has all the power ya could want, and the larger chain is the big advantage of going to the 310 from the next models down, but like i said stihl and husquavarna all great saws, i have nothing against any just went with stihl cause thats what i had experience with

bradj

Perhaps you are looking at this all wrong.
Are you wanting to spend the money or not?
I have a Stihl 036 pro and a homlite 360 (older)
both are powerful saws, but I cut firewood plus do my own logging for my mill.
If you are only going to be using the saw a small amount you may be looking at the wrong saws.
I was at Wal-Mart the other day and they have a poulan saw called the WILDTHING, 40cc, 18 inch bar 2 chains and a carrying case, $135.00.
I almost bought it myself just to have for a backup and for limbing use.
You can get two chains for $20, thats 1 stihl chain.
And you can get a maintenance kit for a couple bucks.
You may really want to look at this saw, I think it will do everything you want it to do and then some.

rebocardo

Go to Home Depot or buy from www.northerntools.com a Poulan WildThing 2375 with the 18 inch bar and carry case for $140.00.

Then spend $50 for a safety helmet, $50 for chaps, and $30-$50 for wedges of various sizes and some good 1/2 rope and a small pulley/block. I assume you have steel toe boots.

I think a cant hook with a dog/support so you can support a tree off the ground is a good thing. If I had to have just one extra tool though besides the saw and wedges, it would be a hi-lift jack.

Then go to the OSHA site and read all the stuff about cutting trees.

Total $300.00 (minus a jack or cant hook)

Then practice your felling on the smaller 6" trees. If you have a sawzall, you can 100% cut down a 12" tree with a 12" wood/pruner blade. I have cut down some decent sized trees with mine including pine and peach up to 12" thick. It might be a good learning tool about notching and back cuts.

It is better to mess up a sawzall blade for $3 by bending it when you are learning then it is to have a bad kickback with a powerful saw that will cut a body part off in the middle of the woods.

The problem is cutting up the rest of the tree with it. For getting in the branches (where a lot of accidents happen) I prefer the sawzall especially in a bushy Maple since I try to burn anything 1" and over. Plus, trying to cut a 1" branch with a big saw, especially above your waist is just asking for an accident to happen.

Being new to a gas saw, cutting branches under tension and compression while it supports the tree is where the most danger is. You bind a big saw or hit the nose running full tilt with an aggressive chain and you are going to get hurt or break the saw.

Being your first saw, start right and get chaps and a helmet that has ear muffs and a face shield.

The WildThing was an excellent saw for me, it made me about 200 hours worth or work before it died and was my first gas saw. It is VERY forgiving for a beginner to use.

When you step up to the bigger saws (cc and bar length), bigger chains (3/8 vs. .325), and the more agressive chains (the Poulan comes with a very low kickback chain) you stand a MUCH greater risk of hurting yourself learning. It was a long time and many trees before I upgraded myself to a bigger Husky.

My advice: Get the cheap, slower, saw with the best safety chain,  the best safety equipment, and learn at a slow pace after reading all the manuals.

Those 100,000+ accidents and deaths using chainsaws every year happen to someone.

Brian_B.

Thanks for all of the replies! I appreciate that I will never use any saw enough to wear it out but I would like to know that it would outlast my son and me. I also want to get something a little bigger than a Poland.
The price for the Husky 55 above is NOT a deal. I don't care how much setting up the dealer may do.

If anyone is interested EBAY listing # 4347525659 is asking $ 253.00 for a new Husky 55 delivered!
I do not know anything about it and I am not involved with that listing I just found it.

hydro2

Sawzalls, cant dogs, chaps, a helmet that has ear muffs and a face shield, wow!!!!  Don't know if he really needs all of that.  It is going to take him hundreds of feet of extension cord to run the Sawzall and he will be so weighted down with all of the safey equipment, he won't be able to unwind the cord to get it to the Sawzall. Don't waste your money on a Poulan or Homojunk!!!  Buy a saw that you will have for the rest of your life and your children's life.  Get a Stihl or Husky and be done with it for heaven' sake.  The Poulan will never idle right (after a few years) and cut slower than you could cut with a handsaw.  Why not just purchase some beavers and play it safe?  Spend the money and get a good saw.  You will have long forgotten about the money and have and enjoy the saw for years to come!!!!  Check out Alamia.com.  They have great prices and good service!!!
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

johnjbc

I say buy the WILDTHING and spent the extra money on safety equipment for the following reasons: 8)

•      By the time your son has it, it will be old and parts and service will be hard to find.
•      You can buy 2 or 3 Poland for what you will spend on an expensive saw. So if you only get 5 years service the expensive saw would have to last 15 years.  
•      If you have an accident and your saw fall out of your truck, or is stolen or a tree falls on it you didn't loose as much. Want to buy the saw that jumped under my tractor wheel? ::) ::)
•      I have had a WILDTHING for about 4 years and used it to cut fire wood, clear several acres for a cabin site, and to cut enough logs to saw out most of the lumber for the camp. It still works fine.
•      The Poland is safer because it doesn't have the kickback potential of the more powerful saws.
•      When you consider that sawing is only a small part of the time it takes to cut, load the tuck, unload, split, stack, and load the stove. It doesn't matter if it takes 1/3 longer to saw through a log.

•      Make sure you get the WILDTHING. It has a different Carburetor with a primer bulb. Mine starts and idles fine. I agree with the comment about the smaller ones. They are hard to start and don't like  idle slow enough for the chain to stop moving.  
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

rebocardo

> It is going to take him hundreds of feet of extension
> cord to run the Sawzall

If I use my corded one, all I bring is 100 feet and run it from a house or my truck. For someone taking their time, a 18V battery powered one works well enough, they just have a shorter stroke (usually only 7/8 ). I prefer DeWalt over Coleman, when money is no object.

Certainly for someone owning a cabin and heating by firewood, a sawzall is not a tool that will go to waste. When I go off-road I like to carry a 24" cross cut saw and bow saw behind my seat, and sawzall on the front floor for minor trail work.

weimedog

Alamia has good internet pricing. I got my Husqvarna from them last year and they have good service for an internet style company. I spent something like 480 for my 365 delivered last April.

Two options..the 55 Husqvarna if your going to buy new is a good one. Proven. Tons around. Ebay parts around till the end of time.

I wouldn't be afraid of a used option a getting a bit more saw. 200 series Husqvarna's go for under 300.
Get one from a dealer and its probably going to last you untill you are done with even the IDEA of cutting.

If your a mechanical type, that gives you even more options. I have been using a old Homelite Super  XL- 925 with a 28" bar for my primary saw for a while. I cut a LOT and I use that saw for everything from dropping the big trees over 36inch dia. to limbing &making firewood. Bet it out lasts me. Find a reasonably clean one with good compression and good spark and its a keeper. You might spend $150 dollars. I found mine for $50 and put a carb kit and fuel line in it..thats all.  (Unless you do it eBay and spend over $300 dollars!!! Like the last one I was watching.)(There is a XL-870 on right now that fits the bill, same series saw). That series Homelite actually starts easier than the new saws (One pull with choke on and then 1 pull half choke and its running....every time even at 15 degrees)

If you don't have the time and don't want to screw around..just get the Husqvarna.

Also if you don't have the saw experience GET A NEW saw with the safety features!!!! That old homelite option I was bragging on two paragraphs ago can ruin your entire life if your not treating it with the right attitude!!! So I stress buy new if your truely new to using saws.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

hydro2

I am glad that someone else is trying to convince him of just spending the money and buying a lifetime saw.  Buy the way, my dad bought a Stihl O31 back in about 1971 and it IS still around for his kid.  In fact, I cut about 6 cords of wood with it this fall.  I have two newer Homilites that I don't even get out, not even to prune the fruit trees.  I also have a Husky 353, that I hope will be around for my son.  Spend the money and get what your really want.  Forget the the pretty Poulan with the fancy purple colors!!!!
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

lucky_cutter

My first saw was a husky 50. It was easy to maintain, forgiving , and the only time it did not run was when it was out of gas. I would still have it but it was stolen when my brother-in-law borrowed it.javascript:cry() From your choices given the husky 55 will make you happy. As others have stated, please get AND use the safety gear. There are also many resources here and elswhere to learn about cutting.

Dean Hylton

I know I mentioned this in another thread a while back but here is my 2 cents worth again :-/  I sell used parts 90% of which are Stihl. I will pay up to $150 for a non running Stihl and up to $100 for a non running Husqvarna. If the poulan, homelite, john deere, makita, red maxx, so on and so on runs you will be ucky if I give you $20. If it does not run then it is a funky boat anchor.  If you buy quality and take care of it  (Stihl or Husqvarna) then you can always get at least a portion of your investment back after it has served your purpose. If it dies then it is still worth something as good parts. All the others are at best funky boat anchors. I do not mean to affend people here but this is what I see in the market place every day. ;) You just can't go wrong with quality.

leweee

What Dean said .....AMEN ;D 8) 8) 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

weimedog

It seems that every motor venue I have ever participated in has a brand that attracts the fashion arrogant types. With motorcycles its KTM, with saws its Stihl. LOL

I would suggest to any rational buyer out there that several brands will provide a good solution to the saw problem..especially if there is a good service oriented dealer nearby. I would include the followings as brands that are NOT Stihl that qualify:

1) Husqvarna
2) Dolmar
3) Solo
4) Jonsered
5) Red Max
6) Echo
7) Makita

As for the clutch heads who like working on old things there are a few more than will cut a LOT of wood if treated well. They include ALL of the above and also:

1) McCulloch (The 700 & 800 series in particulare have proved their worth to me)
2) Homelite (the 700-925 series, C-9 thru 2000 series are the ones that I like)
3) Partner

Offended? no. But realistic than until another herd shows guys like you the way, you are unable to make any decision away from any main stream .....which is why there is a "main stream" set of brands in all things from washing machines to saws.

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Dean Hylton

:o Put the saw down and step away sir :o  I definately agree that some of the saws you listed are quality saws. However they all lack one of two things, or both: name recognition or support. A quality saw will last a given amount of time. When that time is up can you get parts from your dealer? What if you have moved out of the area? Is there a servicing dealer in your area? Has the original manufacturer been bought out or shut down. Does the piece of equipment have enough popularity to have a good supply of used parts for when the manufacturer decides to move on. Are there after market parts for you machine? (the more popular the more likely this is) What about a saw that is only rated for part time use (a work week) Will this instill confidence in the guy I am trying to sell it to later?
 I have close to 600 saws of various brands and in various stages of tear down. I have worked for a Husqvarna dealer, a Red Maxx dealer and a Solo dealer. In my shop I work on Echos, Husqvarnas, Homelites, McCulloch and Shindaiwa, oh yah and stihls. My oppinion is that Solo has the best saw for the money or at any price for that matter. Just try and get it worked on in a timely matter. Husqvarna is the easiest to work on. McCulloch, just try and find parts. Poulan is ALMOST ALWAYS cheaper to buy a new saw rather than work on it. Echos  are great saws but it is at least a week to get parts.  When it comes to resale; the more popular  the image the higher the resale value. (I did not make up the rules of commerce I just follow them) Here is a good example: Right now I have a Shindaiwa 680 on Ebay ( this is a top notch quality saw in the Stihl 044 class) with only a day left to bid it is only at $150. If this was a Stihl 044 in the same condition it would be at around $300 right now. More people looking for Stihls because they reconize the name. If you need parts for an 044 you can literally find them any where. Try and find anything for a Shindaiwa and you would spend quite a bit of time and find few sources.  I am not a snob about it just a realist. This is also why I like a truck with a Chevy 350 in it rather than a Dodge with a 383 Hemi.  I hope this clears up my earlier statement. :)

twostroke_blood

I never paid more than $350 for a chainsaw. Purchase a good used saw 3.8 cubes mininum. ;)

weimedog

"350 Chevy instead of a 383 Hemi...."

Crystal clear...the question is do you get it? LOL No animosity..No hostility here..just observation.

PS> The Origional 1960's era 383 was a wedge. The 392&426 Hemi's were legends in their own time. I would pick the Hemi. After owning a Durango for a while I wouldn't own a Chrysler product of this generation again.  My Ford I drive a work is more to my liking. Even better would be to find a 427 SOHC Ford.....

Thank You Sponsors!