iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's Official Stihl Fuel Injected Chainsaw

Started by HolmenTree, September 20, 2017, 03:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneyacrefarm

I think fuel injection will only make these saws more efficient.
Less gumming of carbs with old fuel issues.
More power.
Can't wait til everyone jumps on the band wagon.
No more having to drain fuel out at the end of a season.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Ianab

Not sure if I'd rush in and buy the first EFI chainsaw. I'd wait for the 2nd model to be sure they have ironed out the bugs.  :D

But I expect it's going to be a good machine.

At a guess  I wouldn't expect more power, but better fuel economy, and the accuracy of fuel injection should make it easier to meet emissions, without restricting the saw's performance as much.

Reliability? Should be better. EFI equipped car engines are MUCH better than old carburettor types. OK, not so good for the shade tree mechanic types, but not needing to putz with the carb is a plus in my book.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

This MS500i chainsaw developed with the technology of the 6 year old TS500i cutquick saw.
I'm sure many improvements have been made.
I can't think of a power tool that does a more endurance of a job then a cutquick in concrete and steel.
Carbon fibre is also in the build of this new chainsaw.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

CR888

An interesting fact on this new saw is the throttle response, they claim from idle to full throttle is 0.25 seconds, a quarter of a second and an 80cc/5cube saw! Ya injection will take place in crankcase along with sensors.

HolmenTree

Quote from: CR888 on September 22, 2017, 01:16:18 PM
An interesting fact on this new saw is the throttle response, they claim from idle to full throttle is 0.25 seconds, a quarter of a second and an 80cc/5cube saw! Ya injection will take place in crankcase along with sensors.
Yeah that's pretty impressive alright!
Throttle response so quick this saw is like laser beam quick.
Would be dangerous in the wrong hands I'd think :D

Brad_bb

Does it have electric start too?  And a cup holder?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Chop Shop

Most folks that talk bad of carbs on autos have never owned a new one.  Its usually an opinion formed after they owned a high mileage car with a worn out engine and worn out carb.    Air/vacuum are very important to a carbs consistency.

Whats this efi saw going to be like after 5-10 years of use?  Nothing worse than a 10 year old EFI auto that just died.  Start testing/troubleshooting or PAYING a tech.   That old carbed rig has an ignition system seperate from the carb.  EFI rigs controll the ignition and fuel making troubleshooting a bigger challenge.

Any hand faller will have a carb rebuild kit, new pull cord, and fuel lines in his truck.  With an EFI saw he will need to carry a whole extra saw to use.

Its pretty easy to find and fix normal fuel system problems on a carbed saw.

Im not ready to embrace them yet.

barbender

If they make it as reliable as efi on autos, I'm all for it.
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

Quote from: barbender on September 26, 2017, 02:36:06 PM
If they make it as reliable as efi on autos, I'm all for it.
I'm thinking the same. If a hand faller gets one year out of a new carb saw to a point where it's completely worn out.
Then gets two years out of a fuel injected saw  then he's way ahead. Buy another new one and keep the old for parts for stuff that normally breaks on the job.

An arborist let's say he gets 10 years he's ahead.
Saw paid for itself over and over again.

My little Husqvarna T536 Li XP battery saw (not a cheap price with charger and batteries all included) paid for itself on its first day on a big pruning job :D

MickMac

Major expensive if things go wrong with injection!

nitehawk55

I look at the last 10 years or so of saws going thru the same evolution autos did from carb to throttle body and finally to FI which first came to be in 1986 on GM's 3.8 V6 . I was working at a GM dealer at the time and what a change it was from cold starts with the choke loading up and cars stalling , these you turned the key in the coldest of weather and drove away , no waiting for 10 minutes for the car to warm up so it didn't stall and flood on you !!
Give it some time , things will get better , I know from seeing the same happen with cars .
A lot of you are likely too young to remember those times !!
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

DelawhereJoe

If this technology has been around for 6+ years in those concrete saws why has it taken so long to make its way over to a chainsaw ? Also why start with an 80cc saw, they just released the 462 why didn't they start there. Could be the next round of saws ms 242i, ms 262i, ms 363i, ms 463i, ms 662i and ms 881i be out in the next 10 years all be fuel injected ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Chop Shop

How many dealer techs and small engine shops understand/embrace EFI?

Aren't there a few threads around here from folks dealing with frustrations and when WM switched to EFI on some new kohler or onan?   I don't remember which.

Like said earlier, there will be a "break in period" first!

HolmenTree

Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 27, 2017, 10:33:25 PM
I look at the last 10 years or so of saws going thru the same evolution autos did from carb to throttle body and finally to FI which first came to be in 1986 on GM's 3.8 V6 . I was working at a GM dealer at the time and what a change it was from cold starts with the choke loading up and cars stalling , these you turned the key in the coldest of weather and drove away , no waiting for 10 minutes for the car to warm up so it didn't stall and flood on you !!
Give it some time , things will get better , I know from seeing the same happen with cars .
A lot of you are likely too young to remember those times !!
Well said Nitehawk  8)
Fuel injection in our vehicles is taken for granted today.
It's a reality check when we think of  the old days with carbed engines in our daily drivers.
Three type of people today are either too young or too old with dementia setting in to remember.
Or the people who have been there done that and without a complaint appreciate their fuel injection  :D

Grandpa

I'm with Holmen Tree, well said Nitehawk.  ;D

thedoublejranch

Quote from: snowstorm on September 21, 2017, 12:12:47 PM... So i would assume sthil is going to used an electric  fuel pump????

I'd bet the fuel pressure is going to be generated mechanically, something driven off of a crank eccentric. My guess, a pushrod run off an eccentric with a small low profile pump mounted outside the case but under the blower housings.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

kenskip1

Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

PNWRusty

Quote from: Chop Shop on September 26, 2017, 01:34:22 PM
Most folks that talk bad of carbs on autos have never owned a new one.  Its usually an opinion formed after they owned a high mileage car with a worn out engine and worn out carb.    Air/vacuum are very important to a carbs consistency.

Yeah, you would be pretty old to have bought a new car with a carb in it. But I've had a couple low mileage "young" cars with carbs and they never hit the fueling precisely like EFI tends to do. Just the nature of the beast. I also have a low mileage 1000 cc V-twin with twin carbs and I've been thinking of converting it to EFI to increase power/torque and MPG (range) and give it a smooth throttle response and better starting/idling. Mo' betta!

QuoteWhats this efi saw going to be like after 5-10 years of use?

We'll know in roughly 6-11 years. My best guess is it will be in much better condition due to nearly perfect fueling under all conditions and less mechanical parts to wear out as you have pointed out as the primary issue with carbs.

QuoteIts pretty easy to find and fix normal fuel system problems on a carbed saw.

That's been my experience too. Too many times to remember. Yes, I can fix them but I prefer to not have to!

QuoteIm not ready to embrace them yet.

That's OK because they're not available yet!  :)

HolmenTree

My last carbed vehicles I bought new was a 1980 full size Ford Bronco with a 302, then traded it in on 1981 Bronco with a 400.  I remember when starting from cold I had to push the gas peddle down to set the choke. If I started to drive off to quick I remember it took s while for the choke to clearout.

Later I bought a new 1988 Chrysler with  turbocharged fuel injection and that engine could start at 40 belowF without touching anything. I got over 200K miles out of the engine when I sold the car and it was still running good.
Those old carb engines were wore out by 100K.

HolmenTree

To add to my last post the best gas engine pickup I ever owned was a 1992 Ford F150 with a fuel injected 300 straight six.
Loved that 300 six.

Thank You Sponsors!