iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delmherst j-2000

Started by Florida boy, September 20, 2017, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

I have been milling lumber for almost a year in my spare time . I have many species cut and air drying. I plan on building a solar kiln and using the lumber for wood working projects.
I bought a j2000 a couple weeks ago and realized I really need the slide hammer so I got one of those too. Found a good deal online on the hammer for less than $100 . So now I need to figure out how to use it. Where do I need to take measurements from on the board? Could I take readings from the side of the board? Don't really want to mar the face of the board but need acurate measurements. Also is the temp setting on there need to to be set with outside temp or is that not much of a factor?
Never even seen one before I bought this one so I really don't know anything about it . Thanks in advance for your replys.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There is a good discussion about using the meters in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER, in an Appendix.  The book is out of print, so use an on-line source.

The average MC is obtained by going 20-25% deep on a face.  So, when using the edge, which is fine if using the green coated insulated needles, drive then 1/4 down from either face and not right in the center.

The meters are terribly inaccurate above 30% MC, so they are virtually useless.  That is, a reading of 40% can be 65% or 32% MC or some other value.

The meter is set for 70 F.  Every 20 F hotter means the recorded reading is 1% higher than actual.  For cold lumber, the measured value is below the actual...1% MC for every 20 F cooler than 70 F.  Use the wood internal temperature.  By setting the wood temperature, you do not have to make these corrections...the meter does it automatically.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

Gene, thanks for that info. I've had a hard time checking my live edge slabs without moving the sheets above them which sometimes I have screw into  place to hold still for air flow. I'll try going into edge with my 2000.
Florida Boy, always check to make sure your pins are tight. They will break easier loose.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I always measure from the edge and I have had very good results this way.  My J-2000X has a temperature setting so that you can set it the the temperature of your wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Florida boy

Used the meter for the first time. Measured some cypress slabs 2-3 " think and one mantle 5" thick.  On the 2-3" ones it was reading from 16 to 20 depending on where  I took it from. They have been drying for a little over a year and sat in log form for about the same. Really like this meter pretty easy to use and the slide hammer works great. I'll be watching out for loose pins so I don't break them. Looked at buying  some extras and they seem pricey. Anyone know of a good place to get them ?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you will be checking 1" lumber, order the shorter pins.  They bend and break less often.

You do need extra pins for when the coating wears off.

Yo might not be aware that driving pins in the face 1/4 to 1/5 of the thickness of the lumber gives you the average MC.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!