iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

edger information

Started by Randy88, September 20, 2017, 08:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irvi00

Look around and see if you might find a Miner. I bet mine is 60 years old and works great. Meadows mills bought them out and parts are still available.

moodnacreek

Yes, look for a miner; good advice

Randy88

I've talked to meadows about the miner edger, they were very informative and helpful, and yes I've been keeping an eye out for a good used I can afford, probably far overkill for what I need, but for the right price and condition, why not.       Thanks for thinking of me and this thread. 

PA_Walnut

Miner looks like a great unit. I'm too looking and will keep an eye out over my way (East Coast).
I was about to purchase a Baker 2-blade unit. Due to the talk about the blade change difficulty, have been shying away.
Any further elaboration about this or someone who has one that will endorse it?
thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

irvi00

My dad and his brother climbed into a '72 Ford dump truck and drove from North Georgia to Meridian Mississippi to bring back a used Miner from the original company. That was somewhere mid 70's. We even still have that ole dump truck, used almost daily. The edger has been a great piece of equipment. One saw stationary and one selectable from 4 to 12 inches. It can edge up to 4 inches thick. Increadibly simple and built like a tank. In my 41 years I can remember changing saws once. It wasn't all that bad, maybe half days work. I know there are still a bunch of them still out there. You may have to dig them out of a junk pile but they are easy to get up and running.

YellowHammer

Quote from: paul case on October 09, 2017, 09:02:49 AM
Yes the Riehl edger is power feed.
It is still working well for me.

PC
I'm interested in one also.  How straight does it feed and cut?  Do you have to fiddle with it to get it right?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

paul case

Straight cutting is easily attained. The worst problem we have is a board with tension that wants to do all sort of moving when cut. However we make mostly stringers through it and they only have to be 4' so I am not sure how it may do on longer stuff. I expect it would do fine. Getting trained to help it hold straight was no trick, but we didn't have to worry about that at all with the belt feed on the baker.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

JB Griffin

I'll endorse the baker. Blade changes are not that difficult IF you remember to move the lock collar.  The one at work has edged around 3-4 million foot of lumber mostly oak. Hyd. variable speed is the best thing since sliced bread for an edger, allows you instantly go from 1" feed speed to 2" speed with the move of a lever.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

PA_Walnut

Just scored a Baker 2-blade and, gheeesh....where's this thing been all my life!  :o
Original owner put a Kubota diesel on it, so it's a rip-snorter!

With the LT40 and the edger, can completely bury a helper on the other end.

On the topic of safety, I am VERY safety minded around the equipment. The Baker's "business stuff" is so far down the line from the operator, I'd feel safe even letting my teenage kids edging.

A caution I'd make is to be sure to not have any loose clothing, etc. but other than that it would take getting onto the belts and past the kickback fingers to grab you.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

paul case

Good for you!
How thick will it edge? I had a friend with one that was essentially the same as mine, but his had bigger blades and the kickback fingers were raised up some to allow for edging thicker boards. Seems like his would edge 10/4 or maybe 12/4.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tmbrcruiser

I purchase a Baker edger new last year. It is stationary with 20 hp electric and the larger blades. My only word of caution or recommendation would be to take out the spacers between the kickback fingers and add finger side by side all the way across. Alternate the short and long fingers. The tips of the fingers are thin and I had several that showed signs of being curled or bent back. Also add the lasers and you will love this machine! I'll take a few picture of the fingers and post them.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tmbrcruiser

Took a few picture today that will show the reason for my concern.

Great edger just a little better now.

PA_Walnut

Awesome pix and mod! Can you show one about how you added lasers?
Thx
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

tmbrcruiser

Will be glad to show pic of the lasers, I'll take a few pics and post them. The lasers will be so helpful you will never give them up. I can put a pencil mark on the end of a board and when the board comes out the other side it is gone cut runs right through the mark.

PA_Walnut

Wow!! I need that--like yesterday! 😳
Thanks!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

tmbrcruiser

I purchase two CL 810 lasers from Cemar Electro Inc., they project a red line. You can get the laser to run on 9 volt batteries or 110 outlet. I am stationary and the edger is electric so adding a receptacle was simple. The pictures should help explain the obvious.

Adjusting the laser is very simple, to start pick a wide board you don't care about. Mark the laser line in two places close to the anti kickback finger and out near the end of the board. Hold the line on the mark and feed the board through the edger. Bring the board back around and measure the distance from the cut to the mark. Then mark the laser line again and measure our the appropriate distance and adjust the lase line to the new mark.

PA_Walnut

Excellent info! Thanks for your efforts.
Are they bright enough to work outside? My edger is portable, thus is outside almost ALL the time.
I was thinking about lasers for my LT40, but the dealer said that they aren't very good outside in bright sunlight.
Hopefully the Cemar ones are bright enough!
Thx
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

tmbrcruiser

If you are in bright light the green will work better I am told. Haven't used them but the folks at Cemar should be able to help. Umbrella may help to, for you and the laser :D :D :D :D.

PA_Walnut

Hoping to get mill and edger under roof yet this year. The tasks list keeps growing.  :o
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!