iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off on Holiday : Now With Pics

Started by Ianab, December 28, 2004, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Hi Folks

Lil and I are heading away for a bit of a road trip up to Northland for the next 10 days or so. No computers, cellphone coverage dodgy etc... it will be GREAT.
Will take camera of course as there is plenty of forestry stuff to see. The biggest Kauri tree, sawmill museum and lots of beaches. Might even be a sunny beach if we are really lucky. Heading off in the morning into a heavy rain warning however  ::)

Will be back around the 8th or 9th ( with heaps of pictures )

Cheers

Ian

http://www.kauri-museum.com/
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sawguy21

Heading north for a winter holiday? Not something I want to do. Oh yeah I forgot, you have to go north to get warm. Have a good trip.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

OK... a lot of kms travelled, a lot of things seen, a lot of sunburn, a DanG lot of pictures taken.
I hope you like pictures  :D
As I've got photo's that cover every section of the forum I'll just add them ALL on here rather than scattering all over the place.

First off this is where we stayed the 1st few days.

This is the local beach, if you have 4WD you can drive about 30 miles Nth or Sth of here along the beach.
We didn't, so rather than take the chance we just walked a little way.

OK.. off to resize some more pics. Of trees and sawmills and woodwork.. and more beaches  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

One of the highlights of the trip was the Kauri Museum. There is just HEAPS of exhibits about Kauri trees, sawing them, furniture and stuff made from them, kauri gum, whole sawmills, chainsaws of all sizes....
First section is the old engines.

Most of these engines were in working condition and they were starting them up and running a couple at a time.

This is an old Wade drag saw they have on display.

Some exhibits are bigger than others....
A 1929 Catterpillar 60 dozer. I would guess it's complete and they drove it in there.

This exhibit wasn't fully working  :D

Ian

Ianab

Next hall is complete sawmills.  8)
Most were set up and turning over slowly with little electric motors.
The first one seemed to be a steam powered version of the old manual pit saw.

Complete with steam engine.

Next one was a twin blade circle rig for sawing the big kauri logs. Also steam powered.

The bandsaw guys need not feel left out either  ;)

And this one was a NZ made twin sash mill, never seen anything like it before  ::)

Next section... .Chainsaws  8)

ian

iain

lurvley keep em pic's a'comin you aint get time to work 8)

iain

Ianab

Chainsaws  8)

Lil checks out the chainsaw display.

This is an Aussie 2 man Blue Streak saw.

A couple of IEL twin cylinder saws.

A couple of other cool old saws.

This little thing was labeled as a 'Chug-a-saw'. Not sure if that was the model or the description. It was cute though, with about a 12" bar  :D

A Sachs-Dolmar Wankel engine saw.

Also saw this relatively modern rimsaw. Sorry the details on the tag didn't come out readable in the pic, so I dont know much more about it.

Finally this pic was on the wall, showing 2 guys using one of those saws to split a medium size log so it would fit on the mill.

Plenty more to see, but I need to sleep  ::)

Ian

WV_hillbilly

Looks like you had a fun , relaxing  and interesting vacation lanab . Pretty cool pics you took .

WV hillbilly
Hillbilly

OneWithWood

Ian, thanks for posting all the pics.  I know it takes a bit of time to do that.

It is always interesting to see how things are done in your corner of the world. :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Greenskeeper

Great pic's, love to see the old steam powered stuff.

Bro. Noble

Greenskeeper,

Is that an undermounted Avery?  

Am I reading that right that you live in Hell? :o :o  What a forum-----members from 'Down Under',  'Hell',  and 'Texas" :D :D :D

Ianab,
Thanks for the picts,  looking forward to seeing more.  Wish I could have been with you :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Roxie

Bro. Noble, strong shiney nose has lost it's shine!   :'(
The boss said Whitepe broke it....I hope it get's fixed soon!

Lanab, great pictures!  Thanks!  
Say when

sandmar

Thanks for the pics lanab! Interesting stuff....get some rest and send more pics. How big is this place anyway?

Sandmar

Ianab

Yup... we got more pictures. :)

Did I mention Lil bought me an extra memory card for my camera for Christmas?? 8)

Centre display in the next hall was a 4inch section sawn from the centre of a large kauri tree.... the WHOLE tree... LENGTHWAYS.  :o

View looking down from upstairs.
The rings on the wall illustrate some other past and present kauri trees. The outer 2 rings are trees that have been lost to forest fires, the next 4 are trees that are still standing, and there is a slice from the displayed log in the middle, just for scale  :o

On the back of the log are dozens of photos of the tree being felled and sawn. I've taken snaps of a few of them. The tree was growing on a farm and was killed by a lightning strike so was felled and sawn up.
Felling the tree.

This is the smaller top log being dragged out.

And loaded onto a truck. Not having anything that would lift the logs they dug a hole with the bulldozer, parked the truck in the trench and pushed the log on. This is winching the truck and log out of the trench.

Driving out with the butt log. Caption read something along the line of 'Driver is leaning out door ready to bail out if anything goes wrong'  :D

Some more pics of sawing up the logs.
Loading the big log under the mill.

Turning the log over so they could leave one big slab intact.

The Stump was also dug out and sawn with a chainsaw mill. The wild grain is popular with wood turners.

Coming soon... Some stuff actually made from kauri wood.

Ian

sandmar

WOW..would like to see a bowl turned outta that stump.....or at least the lathe to turn it on  :o

Sandmar

iain

It would'nt be a bowl it would be a bath ;)

iain

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Ianab

Hi Sandmar
QuoteHow big is this place anyway?
As you can probably tell, it's a big place  :)
Took us a couple of hours to walk around it all.
As it so happens there is actually a kauri bath on display there :D.. and another place had pictures of a SOLID kauri hot tub they had made from one stump.

But on with the tour...

This staircase is both functional..  and an exhibit.

This is a wooden butter churn from an old dairy factory. The natural durability of the kauri timber made it popular for this sort of use.

This is a small table made from solid figured kauri. A slice of burl is sitting on the table.

Close up of the burl

And some real fancy stuff, lots of inlay, burl and wild grain in this piece.

This table was about the most impressive bit of furniture I've ever seen though.
This table is 15 ft long, 4'6" at one end, 5'6" at the other. The top is about 4 inches thick and weighs over a ton.

The legs of the table and chairs are all finished with Maori carvings and paua shell highlights. Nothing dainty here, it's holding up a ton of table top.

This is the bosses carved chair that goes with the table.

And a closeup of the carving on the chair.

Not finished yet. ;) :D

Ian

Norm

Boy this is better than going myself (free) thanks Ian.

iain

The pic of you in the mirror,  
you wearing  "jandles" ?

iain

Ianab

A summer holiday in NZ ... Jandles are a must  :D

I decided shorts might be a bit extreme (white chicken legs and all)  :D

sandmar

lan...........thanks so much for sharing............these are great pics of beautiful wood...looks like you had a great holiday.

Sandmar
keep the pics coming man,,you got me drooling over this place now.....do they have a website also?

Fla._Deadheader

As usual, a fine job of Journalism. I really appreciate your time to post all the photos and explanations. Thanks to Lil also, for taking some of those photos.

Looks like y'all had a real good time.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!