iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Access to Front Pin on Steering Cylinder TJ230E 1978

Started by Mountain_d, September 18, 2017, 07:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain_d

I have a leaking steering cylinder on my 1978 TJ 230E. Is there a trick to access the area of the front pin? I thought taking the fuel tank off would help but it looks like solid plate behind the tank. I took the batteries out.  Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks. Mountain D.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Oliver05262

I admit I'm not familiar with a TJ230, but on a 240A, the pin is easy to get to if the transmission is out. We repacked the one I worked on by turning the machine all the way left, pulling the rear pin,and taking the packing gland off to disassemble the cylinder in place. If you need to work on the barrel, then this won't work. You do need to unhook both hoses to let the oil and air move as you pull the rod & piston out.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Mountain_d

Thanks for the information. I never thought of doing it that way. How hard to get the cylinder back together with the new seals? I thought a press would be required? Mountain D
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

mf40diesel

This past mudseason I changed the pins and bushings on my 225's steering cylinder.  To put it bluntly, there really isn't an easy way to access it.  I worked off a step ladder on the starboard side of the machine, with it turned hard left. With the batteries out it was a little better, but still far from easy.  Honestly though, I think the forward hydraulic connection and the grease line were at least as hard if not harder than the pin.

Bummer in my case, in doing the job, I learned that more of my slop was coming from the center pins/bushes than I thought.

Good luck, it certainly can be done, but it is a pain. 
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

shawn55

X2 oliver i did the same thing on mine and it went back togather just fine. But yes the pin in the front is not easy to get at.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Mountain_d on September 19, 2017, 06:47:48 PM
Thanks for the information. I never thought of doing it that way. How hard to get the cylinder back together with the new seals? I thought a press would be required? Mountain D
Not sure how big of cylinder that is.  On my Skytrac, the fork dip cylinder is about 5", maybe 6" diameter.  I pulled the ram and took it to a shop to be cleaned and rebuilt.  Later I watched a video and you are supposed to use some sort of liner/compressor like a cylinder ring compressor to protect the seal from the internal threads.  I was able to line up the the ram and use a couple ratchet straps to persuade it to go in.  I think a sleeve would have helped.  It did take a bit of force but was doable and no leaks.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Mountain_d

//
Sounds like doable to change the insides with the front pin attached and the help of the compressing tool. I will look into the tool for that. Thanks again everyone.
Mountain D.

Thank You Sponsors!