iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did they do this?

Started by Brad_bb, September 18, 2017, 12:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I was at Woodmizer Indy and in a photo book at reception it had this picture.  They are live edge boards fit together. I'm wondering how they did this?  My first thought is that they overlapped one board on another, then used a jig saw to follow the line of the top board, cutting through both boards so that one fits to the to the other.  Then they sand both edges and round over the top edges. 

IF that is how they did it, that is a heck of a lot of work with the jig saw.  My jig saw is a consumer skill brand.  Maybe a higher end one cuts with less vibration and faster???

Let me know what you think.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

Yoh wouldn't have to cut both boards at the same time. You could edge prep the first board and scribe it to its mate, and then cut to the scribe line.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

How do you "edge prep" the first board?  If it's live edge is slanted, you can't put a nice round over on it like they have.  You have to get the edge square to it's face, right?

Savannahdan

Looks like they used some "used and abused" blade sent in for re-sharpening by Woodmizer owners.   :D
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

scsmith42

Brad, I've done this before and the method that you describe is how I did it.  In my instance I used a Festool jigsaw with a 4" blade to cut through a pair of 5/4 thick boards at the same time. 

It didn't really take that long.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GAB

Brad:
You wrote; "I was at Woodmizer Indy"
So when are you getting your LT70 Wide.
Just curious,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

woodworker9

I have done this type of work in the past with my bandsaw.  A quality bandsaw for the cutting, scribe the line (as you suggested) to the next board, and cut to the line.

Roundover is easy with a router bit and bearing.  I use my shaper and a cove cutter, with a bearing to ride against.  Goes pretty fast with sharp tooling and a quality bandsaw.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Brad_bb

GAB, no thanks, I like my LT15 with endless extensions and beam planer.  I don't want to do production.  I want to do the odd stuff.

I figure you have to do it with a jigsaw with all the twists and turns.  With a bandsaw I'd think it would be too difficult to do all the extreme turns.

Larry

I thought it bandsaw work at first also but when I look at the two branch stubs it would be really hard to make those curves on a bandsaw.  I'm leaning towards a jigsaw.

I bought the best Bosch jigsaw years ago.  Its still made about the same today.  Completely different machine than consumer grade saws.  It was a great investment. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Downstream

I bought the nicer bosch jigsaw this year and let me tell you night and day.  went from least used power tool to first one I grab now.  it's like having a precision chainsaw.  eliminated 70% of my bandsaw blade changes on my laguna.  I leave the resaw king blade on and cut curves with the bosch jig saw.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

coalsmok

Maybe a router with a pattern bit? Clamp one board on top of the other and make a pass.

Thank You Sponsors!