iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First steps for lumber harvest then planting plan Western N.C.

Started by Classic1, September 15, 2017, 10:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classic1

I've got some property in western North Carolina that has been in my family since the 1970's.  We've never had the timber cut on it.  I was wondering what the first steps would be to have this cut.  I don't want to have someone come in and clear cut.  I'm hoping there are some select trees on the property that would be worth cutting.

I'm a Florida native, tree identification of northern species is not my forte,  the trees are so tall its hard to see leaves clearly, meaning I'm going solely from bark.

One of my family members said the neighbors had their property logged and the guys checked our acreage out and said it was mostly softwoods as the mountain face was south facing.  Any truth to this?

What would the harvest plan be if I had it logged out and then replanted with walnut or another valuable wood?  Planting costs?  Interim costs? First harvest, length of time? Would I be looking at a 20 year plan, 30, 40, 50 etc? 

If anyone is local to western NC and has recommendations on where to start I'd appreciate any input. 

If we are going to keep the property I think it makes sense to plant with a valuable timber on it, just have no clue about feasibility of this.

70 Acres in Whittier, NC with great access.

40 acres in Otto, NC with more challenging access.

Lucas dsm23
Norwood hd36

TreeStandHunter

I could not give you any insight as to what species you currently have, perhaps post some photos? If you plan on re-planting hardwoods count on 50 years for most species. One that's in good growing conditions could be taken around 30
In the process of building my own mill.

curdog

I would talk with the nc forest service or hire a private consulting forester to exam your property and develop a forest management plan.
Many tracts in western nc can be harvested and will regenerate in desirable species. Yellow Poplar comes back strong on many of the sites in that area that are clear cut. Shelterwood harvest could be used for promoting oak regeneration. There is not much tree planting that takes place in those areas and plantation management is difficult due to topography,  so it is uncommon.
But you can browse around on www.ncforestservice.gov and it will have contact info for the local county office as well as a list of consulting foresters/ timber buyers in the area.

Ron Scott

Yes, seek out the services of the local Conservation District Forester, NCDNR Service Forester, or a Consulting Forester to advise you on the proper management direction for your forest properties.
~Ron

Classic1

Thanks for the advice.  Looks like I'll be contacting the nc forest service to setup a management plan. 
Lucas dsm23
Norwood hd36

Magicman

He should also be able or know who to register you as an American Tree Farmer. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Im told Western NC is prime poplar ground, and its a fast straight grower.

Theres a company i cant think of off the top of my head thatsout that way who buys peeled poplar bark for good money to make siding.  This means it must be cut and stripped in spring (peels very easy)

If cut in winter, they do bring more money for export.  I priced them at .70cents/ bf winter cut vs 40cents spring.  Cant be full of sap and baking in a container or theyll split.

I know markets will change but soil wise, its best to go with what your region produces heartily imo.  Better to be thriving in poplar vs a scraggly walnut patch.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!