iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust Burner (Furnace)

Started by doucetteowen, September 15, 2017, 08:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doucetteowen

Hello, Im building a new shop and have a circular sawmill at home. I was thinking of installing a sawdust burner to heat the new shop, as i have quite a bit of sawdust readily available. Just wondering if anyone knows of any sawdust furnaces on the market or anything that someone whipped up homemade? (shop is infloor heat, 50ftx80ft, 20 ft ceiling. Thanks!

red

Woodmizer had a prototype called Biomizer . You can also search burning wood chips for similar info. What seems to be a good idea gets complicated real quickly. Just keeping sawdust dry maybe a challenge. Good Luck on your research.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

E Yoder

Heatmaster makes an automated B series biomass burner. We burned one at a local sawmill last winter and it ran very well on a chip dust mix.
And an MF furnace can be handfed dust and cordwood mix.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Ljohnsaw

I think someone posted on here (Kbeitz?), but you could Google sawdust burners.  It was a barrel with an air intake tube feeding the bottom, middle with a donut like plate.  A pipe is inserted in the middle and sawdust is packed around it.  Then a layer of sand about 1" thick is placed on top.  The pipe is carefully removed and a fire started in the bottom.  The top of the barrel is replace and it does a slow LOOOONG burn.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JBS 181

I built one of those sawdust burners out of a 55 gallon barrel with a 30 gallon inside it and suspended about 2" off the bottom of the 55 barrel. Just like ljohnsaw said, I had a pole that stuffed in a 2.5 inch hole in bottom of 30 gallon and then packed sawdust around it. Put lid on 55 barrel and lit her up from the bottom. Sorry, form is pulled out leaving an airway up through saw dust. This thing worked excellent. Only problem is my shop was small and not enough room too set up another one. It does burn long but if you wanted sustained heat overnight let's say, you would need a second one to light after the first one was about burnt down. No way to add sawdust once it is going. OP is probably looking for something more automated.

Thank You Sponsors!