iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

taking the weight out of walnut

Started by tule peak timber, September 14, 2017, 08:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Lots of beautiful tables here on FF , and here is may take on another one. End grain English Walnut 54X120. The start with basic orchard logs.

These are all short, metal filled little beauties that turned into cookies.

Once the design is set the basic table shape starts taking form from the cookies.

The last pic shows the dado groove that will hold inset steel later.

After rabbeting ,glue is spread to inset plywood.

Once the bottom is set in we tip the whole mess upright and begin cleanup. Tomorrow -the start of the core.  Cheers  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Delawhere Jack

Eagerly awaiting the progress on this one... I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

ooooh me likey. I am in for the ride...

21incher

I can't wait to see this one finished. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Hilltop366

tule peak timber

The lighter weight core forming up today

Monday we will cut the veneers from cookie scraps .  Rob

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

scsmith42

Rob, I love your posts!  Thanks for taking the time to share your unique projects and processes.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

coalsmok

Lots of imagination and hard work goes into what you build. I love to watch the progress on the tables you show us

rasman57

Wow.  To describe your vison and talent for one off pieces as creative and artistic is an understatement.  That Dado detail is going to be special!     We wait again.   Good stuff!

21incher

Hope you are safe and not in the path of any of the wildfires out there.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Thanks,
  We are well south of the big fires but there are suspicious small fires breaking out all around us this week. Smoke is in the air as far as one can see.What is of curious interest is the 4 earthquakes here at 2 hour intervals yesterday. All quakes were centered a few hundred yards away and it was a little weird. I had one timber lift topple and a massive crack widen in the shop floor.......

Weekend_Sawyer

I really enjoy your projects.
Thanks for posting.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

rasman57

Wow.  Mother nature really lets us know we are just a small part of the equation.  Fire and earthquakes will remind us we are not in charge of much no matter how settled we think we are.  Stay safe and hoping for the best out that way.

Magicman

Thank you Rob for the update.  I had been concerned.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Thanks again,
       From our perch here in the ridge we can see a great distance and are always wary of fire ! Just a couple of shots of the table bottom with the steel band installed. The last pic is the shop floor crack which is about 20 feet long. 

grouch

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this work!

How thick is that steel band? How are the ends connected?
Find something to do that interests you.

tule peak timber

samandothers

Sorry your floor was damaged.  Your work is interesting and very attractive.

tule peak timber

Mating the center section of the table to the main body- lots of clamps !

A white oak table receiving it's leg set that will ship next week.

Still plowing away on my wife's cabinets !  Cheers  Rob

tule peak timber

Thank You Sponsors!