iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

99 ¾ % DUNN----100% DONE

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 28, 2004, 03:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Today, at 4:18 PM, Ed and I closed off the Peak on the Roof with Shingles.  ;D   What a lousy job it was, to do the thing part-time. We had 2 different rainy spells, with the bare roof exposed some. Got a REALLY BIG Tarp and covered the roof 4 different times.  Had wind gusts to 30Knots on Sunday. Weather dropped to 39° at night, 3 times.
  All we have left is cut the peak open, nail on some ½ shingles, cut longways, and nail on the Vent strips on the Peak.

Only have 2 more rooves to go.  :(

BUT NOT ME. We got an order for some Pecky Beams and we go south tomorrow for some Stainless, to start a nice order of Sand Scoops. By then, I'M headed to Costa Rica.  ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Sounds like roofing in Florida is almost exactly like roofing in Michigan. You got ta be "special" to do it every day. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Ya gotta be NUTZ (no offence, Charles) to do Roofing everyday. Every bone and joint and muscle in both our bodies HURT. Got a severe Charles Horse in my right calf muscle, and almost lost my balance.  Put a total of 35 Square on the Roof. Survey says, we have 1800 sq./ft of living area under Air. ??? ??? Sumbody can't figger too good. I get closer to 2200.???  All I know is, that's a lotta Shingles.  :'( ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

Fla.-,

How do you form the scoop, do you have a die and stamp press to shape it?

etat

Extra specially NUTS, that's what I say. Heck, just look at me.  

Glad ya gettin er finished up there Fla.  sorry about that gun.  I woulda been glad to a sent you another one if you'd a let me cause I still feel bad about the dang thing  not working. ???

I'm still laughing every time I think about story you tole me about cutting that dang boat! :)  One a these day's you gotta tell VA-Sawyer.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Hi "D". We built an "Ironworker" type punch press. That's a rig that's 54" long X 50" high X 4" wide, sitting on a tapering sawhorse type stand. We can punch a 5/8" hole in ¼" steel plate. That was our first "Trial and Error Hydraulics class".

We bandsaw the shape from 14 Ga. Stainless, punch it full of ½" or 5/8" holes. Then we roll it into a tube shape, using the slip-rolls we built. Ed tigs the back and handle on. We slip on a bicycle grip, and, Voila, 1 Sand Scoop. The handle is 40" long, 1 piece.

We also made a tool to swage the SS Handle to make a "Travel" model, that fits into a suitcase. A "spring-snap-pin" locks the handle pieces together.

We stopped counting scoops built, when we hit 350,000 of various designs.

Here's a couple pics.

Charles, the thought was more important than the gun.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Haytrader

FDH,

Whada you use them scoops for?
Is they used in conjunction with a metal detector?
Ta find buried treasure on the "sunny beaches" down there?

Or are they for cleanin up at the "dog track"?

:D
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Metal Detecting, mostly  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin

A man could get awful thirsty trying to scoop a drink with that .

Fla._Deadheader

Not if ya don't open the contailer, first.  ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jason_WI

Harold,

Was Ed on a travel channel special recently. Something about finding treasure in america or something like that. It was on the other night. Looking for treasure from a sunken spanish fleet near Vero beach. Every time a storm comes through it washes up more treasure on the beach.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Swede

Fla._Dh. Today I´ve seen a picture of the new way to hang people! Looks more humane than i´ve heard about. ;D ;D ;D ;)

Nice to see You´ve also found some logs and doing fine. :) Can´t find out how to use that new tool. Is there a link to grits? ::) ;D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Furby

Great job Deadheader!!!  8) 8) 8)
Roofing is a real pain, but even worse when ya trying to beat the weather.

I have about 10 sq on my house to do next summer, after tearing off about 20 sq.
Then we have I think 28 sq to lay on my Grandma's place, after removing over 70 sq.
NOT looking forward to it! Part of it is 12/12 pitch.  :o

Woodcarver

Speaking of roofs and of metal, we just received a Christmas note from a former neighbor who now lives in Stewart, Florida.
She had her house re-roofed a year ago. She said she decided to spend the money to have a metal roof installed and she was glad she had done it. The shingle roofs on her neighbors houses were damaged, but her metal roof wasn't.

I guess there is something to be said for metal roofs.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

D._Frederick

Hey Fla._,

Very nice looking workmanship looks very professional, would have a hard time bailing the barge out!

Are you giving up on the log salvage or is it on the back burner?

Fla._Deadheader

Youse guys got too many questions.  ;D ;D ;D

Let's see,

Jason, Yes, Ed and I are on seperate TV Programs. His is on the Travel Channel, Mine is on the History Channel. Actually, we are both in the one on the History Channel, "History's Mysteries.

Swede, "Hang people" ??? I know a few that need it.  ;D ;D
  Gotta go logging in the morning. Got a nice order for Pecky Beams.
  The scoop is used just like a shovel. After removing the sand from the target area, the water action will sift the sand through the holes, allowing the target to be left in the scoop.

Furby, the leg I broke last year really starts to hurt, after standing on a roof for 6 hours. A 12/12 Roof, I wood turn over to Charles Tate. Ours is 5/12. I slipped on the loose grit and sand many times. Ya never know when the next step will sail ya right off the Roof.  ::)  I don't envy anyone that does this part time.
   We had to replace the sheathing on one side of the chimney. Had to take a Diamond Saw and cut ¾" off the bottom of the stone facing, to replace the rotten wood. There was NO support under the rotten piece, and that allowed the stone to slide down and cause a depression, so the water would stand and seep under the flashing. The guy that did that should get to try out the Swede's new idea. >:( ;D ;D ;D

WoodCarver, Metal roof is the best, IF there is enough "Ribs underneath, to screw it to. Mostly, it's nailed to a Plywood sheathing.  Houses are built REAL crummy down here. A license here to be a builder or tradesman, is simply a license to steal or to allow you to pay off the inspector, after you do minimal requirements, or LESS. ::) ::) ::)  Terrible  >:( >:(

"D", thanks for the compliment. We try hard to put out a good product. Now, there are 4 operations copying our designs. They make them cheaper, and they don't look nearly as good as ours. "Cheaper" being the key word, here. Metal Detecting folks are CHEAP.

We have tried to hire someone to work with us. Either they are too lazy, or, too wimpy to dive. Ed is doing too much, and slowly killing himself. There is no way we can continue to do the whole operation ourselves. I am trying to get a wholesaler to buy logs from a Mulch Plant. Ed can find a Mexican to help around the mill.

If I can get the CR thing going, there is cheaper labor, and maybe Ed will move down there and take over what I get started.
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawguy21

There are lots of metal roofs in British Columbia but for an entirely different reason. The snow needs to slide off so it won't accumulate and crush the building. Yet the brighter minds still keep building large malls and schools with flat roofs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fla._Deadheader

I think flat roofs should be banned from ANY building. They are nothing but problems. Any Architect that uses them should lose his license.  >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

during an ice storm a few years back, k-mart had a crew of 'idiots' on the roof with wheelbarrows and shovels clearing ice and dumping it off the back. well the job got to be too big and the ice too thick, so they hired a contractor, who instructed his men and the 'idiots' to pile the ice into piles on the roof, then move it off. lo and behold the roof broke under the piles, and they tore the building down
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

beetle

About a year ago they built a new plaza around my area that house's about 12 retail companys with the main one being Walmart. Just this past Christmas eve during the ice storm, the maintanance guys at Walmart determined that the load on the roof exceeded the design. During the Christmas rush, they evacuated the entire plaza and it was a real mess. Alot of lost $ but at least they had enough brains to make that decision.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

isawlogs

Glad to hear that it all went well for you on the roof there Harrold....
  I am also in agreement in that a flat roof should always be on an angle  ;D  .....I don't see how they can still dream those roofs up after all thays hppenned with them.
   Charles, remember when we was talking about me roofing my shop and you offerd me your gun, was that the same gun  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

I think he sent the GOOD one to da Boss.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

That could be ... I was talking to him about my rooffing about the same time the boss was doing his. ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Harrold... what part of costa rica you going to be at ... I have an aunt that lives there....( wifes aunt )

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Marcel. I am going mostly to San Carlos area (Near the Arenal Volcano, and to Guanacaste (Puntarenas Pacific side) area. This would be North of San Jose, toward Nicaragua.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!