iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Cookies on the LT 40

Started by highway, September 14, 2017, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway

I have been asked to cut some 3/4" cookies out of 8" dia birch for centerpieces for a wedding. Anyone ever done this before or have any tips? How do you secure the log? is there any issue with the log binding the blade.

Thanks,

ED
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

Stephen1

I like 1" minimum, Clamp them standing or  lean them over and you have nice ovals. Cut them just before the wedding and they will not dry and crack.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I do it all the time.
I have a piece of plywood I lay across the supports.
I then raise the back supports up and stand a 2x6 against them.
Stand the piece of log up on the plywood and clamp it against the 2x6 backing.
After clamping, take your hands and shake the log to make sure it has enough pressure on it before sawing.

You will not be able to saw the last 7 inches because of the thickness of the plywood and the hight of the 2x6. (You could switch to a 2x4 backing once the log is down to 7 or 8 inches high.)
I only place a log on its end no longer than 16 inches. The higher you go, the more leverage your blade pressure will have to tip the log forward if its not clamped tight enough.

I saw a lot of these for weddings. I will saw them 5 days before the wedding to be picked up. Sawing months ahead of time could result in a bunch of cracked cookies which doesn't go over to well. I charge 5 bucks each for cookies over 7 inches.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

It works,, for a wedding,, yes, for sales, more attention needed to controlling cracks,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

I've tried putting something down  to set the log on like Dave describes but for me I found I am much more successful just standing the log up on the plate at the front of movable clamp and clamp against the side of the mill and cut either straight or at an angle for ovals. It helps if you have someone hold them in place till you get them clamped. They go real fast once clamped. I tried clamping 4-5 at a time for mass production and just screwed up cookies and scattered logs as they did not clamp well due to even minor differences in diameter. It is much faster for me to do them one at a time and leave the bottom 3-4 inches.

I have cut walnut cookies then painted both sides with anchorseal and they did not crack. Others without anchorseal cracked within days. I think I have read here where people talked about storing them in green sawdust to slow the drying and reduce the cracking.

I have cut donuts where the center was hollow and they dry better than solid cookies. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

This wedding cake is on 14 Inch white oak, which we did two weeks ago.  We milled several.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

drobertson

Yes anything works as to resting vertical standing piece,, most mills have chunks of stock laying around just under the clamp width.  I'd say getting the hunk up on the bed is a bigger issue than sawing it,, it's an old saying "displacing and replacing" the factors that cause excessive cracking from to quick of drying,, for a wedding, as our case was,, they went into the fire for a romantic fire at a lodge a few days before Christmas,,, no fuss, no muss, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I just stand them up as WVS described and whack away.

I was not selling, just sawing.  She asked how much and I said free!  Happy lady.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What in the world happened to that cake?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Either beavers or porcupines attracted to the cookies then helped themselves to dessert. :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

We use a 16 foot long timber and glue as may two foot tall crosscuts as will fit on the timber vertically. Then the timber is mounted on the Woodschmoozer and the setworks cranks out bucket fulls at a time. And I mean thousands of them....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

YellowHammer

We use a crosstie and cut a V notch in it.  Works great, holds everything in place. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Do the ovals crack as much as flat cookies?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

tawilson

My daughter got married a couple months ago and the rounds have all cracked and the ovals are still good. Can't say what the future will bring.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

LeeB

I've always had better luck with ovals than cookies. Probably due to having more long grain in the oval as compared to a cookie.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

etroup10

What i do is i made an "L" shaped jig out of two boards where the wider board is on the bunks and  narrow board is against the stops. I then use small lags and put one or two in from the small vertical board and then a short one in from the bottom. Then clamp the whole jig. It works well and allows me to cut multiple cookies in a single pass. Last year i did an order for 300 and it took about an hour and a half to 2 hours. As long as the lags from the bottom are shorter than your vertical board you can stay above the vertical board and not worry about hitting any of the lags.

This was the first time i did it. The board between the jig and clamp isnt really necessary.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Sixacresand

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 14, 2017, 08:31:34 PM

I wondered about that too.  I wasn't there.  I assumed (hoped) it was chocolate icing and still edible.😀
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

scully

Yeah what the heck ! ?? Looks like it was shot at and missed then mud thrown at and hit !
I bleed orange  .

Crusarius

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 14, 2017, 08:31:34 PM

Apparently they are into 4 wheeling. you can see the tires on the chocolate cake. that is the spray pattern on the white cake.

highway

This is great information, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all.

Ed
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

tule peak timber

We are cutting some cookie veneers today from cookie scraps and even one piece of an old project.Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!