iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

seed ticks...

Started by bluthum, September 14, 2017, 03:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluthum

If these pics come through..
first is a nice wad of seed ticks on the end of a grass stem waiting for a host.
Second pic shows masking tape below the horde.
Third pic shows them charging onto the tape as they would a leg.
Fourth pic show a real leg a few seconds after colliding with an unnoticed wad of seed ticks.

Nature in action!

bluthum

looks like you'll have to visit my profile to see the pics, I can't figure out how to post the other pics.
Be aware a tick feeding frenzy is not for the weak of heart.......

ToddsPoint

Chiggers operate the same way.  Gathered at the tip of a plant crossing a trail.  Clever little parasites.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

customsawyer

If you get them on your pants., one of the best ways to get all the little buggers off is with one of those tape lint rollers.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

bluthum,I've had some trouble with posting more than one picture in a post too. I just start another post and all is good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodcutter_Mo

We had a really bad round with seed ticks several weeks ago, though in the last week I've only gotten a couple ticks, no complaints about that!
That's a good pic with the clump of seed ticks on the grass. I've never seen them do that.
We try to keep a wide roll of white tape in each of the vehicles. We've even resorted to lighting a piece of news paper on fire to singe them off jeans. Not the smartest thing to do by any means but it was effective.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

bluthum

The seed tick wads are amazing.  With out the cooperative effort  a seed tick has about no chance to climb upon a host, they are just too tiny. Once they've had a blood meal and make a nymph stage [often called "yearlings"] then they are long legged enough to make it on their own.

I like to look for those out of place swellings on the ends of plants along the trail  and then light 'em up with a bic lighter. Problem solved.

Thank You Sponsors!