iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where to get plans

Started by Momatt, September 14, 2017, 01:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

I am interested in beginning to cut a frame.  It will be my first advanced timber frame project and I would like to go ahead and purchase a detailed set of plans for approximately a 16-18 foot by 28 (approx) foot with a kneewall loft.  I was going to draw up some after studying a few books.  After studying said books I changed my mind.

Generally I am biased towards shorter posts and ease of assembly of final frame as it will be short on men (couple buddies possibly) and only a case 455 track crawler to assemble.
Anybody have a recommendation? 

VictorH

Forum member Jim Rogers can put together something for you.  I had mine printed on 11x17" paper and spiral bound locally.  They have been great.

Victor

Roger Nair

The Timber Frame Guild has a book with designs of smaller buildings on offer for $15.00.  Might contain useful info and ideas suitable for your needs.

http://www.tfguild.org/store/fourteen-small-timber-frames
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Ljohnsaw

Momatt,
Where are you located? (update your profile...)  That will have a huge bearing on what your plans will need to be.  Also, do you need engineered/stamped plans for a building permit?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Momatt

Thanks for responding.  I'm in Central Missouri.  No building code except for sanitary here. 

loganworks2

Is there a promo code to use when purchasing this book from the TFG?

flyingparks

Scott Stevens at Grand Oaks Timber Framing

I have used a few of his plans. They are simple and easy to read. Even for a beginner like me. Highly recommend.

http://www.grandoakstimberframing.com/timber_frame_store.html

MbfVA

The 3D warehouse maintained by Trimble for its product sketchup, free version available as well, is loaded with files. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is a challenge of course, but it's all free, and even stuff you can't use in entirety, can be helpful in suggesting things, ideas, etc.

The volume of files and the variations in how they described in the thumbnails, can make you feel like you're going down a rabbit hole, but that's the way it is on the Internet.  Be curious, be very curious.

I just discovered it, well let's say I just discovered how much is in there, after working with sketchup for several weeks.   Not complete plan sets that I have seen, but many very detailed files, with all dimensions, etc.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Roger Nair

I got my plans from learning the traditional patterns, the carpentry technique and a lifetime in the building industry with all the various concerns of design, (usefulness, engineering and visual impact).  I built models to get style and drafted plans to nail down cost, details and every other concern I had.  Once I had a plan worked out, I would submit them for an engineers review.  Redraw reviewed plans as necessary.  So how much time do you have and what is the depth of your talent.

The other answer is to find a professional.

Looking at others plans for your design is a weak method, lacking rigor and not wrestling your way through the problems.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

MbfVA

Taking note of the quotation at the end of your posts.  I lived two doors down from James Branch Cabell's last home at 3201 Monument Avenue in Richmond, a very odd one room deep house, in the first house I ever bought.  I taught three years at the university whose library carries his name.   About two years younger than you are, btw.

Thanks for your thoughts.  However I believe you may have misinterpreted my purpose, and perhaps that of other posters, which was to advise the readers of this thread about sources of ideas and other people's work that they might not have known about.  I get ideas & help from the work of others all the time, especially on subjects that I don't have a lifetime of experience with, like you do.   As I stated elsewhere, we will definitely be involving  others for final drafting and approvals.  I'm a CPA, not a cowboy.

Roger Nair

Let me explain, briefly.  TF homes can be beautiful eye catching buildings at the same time that TF home can be cold severe pain in the backside to live in.  Knowing your living plan for your family is far more important than TF for a good livable home.  This requires an exploration of the mundane aspects of daily life.  So the general layout of rooms and functions that centers around the family life is the major task.  Looking at the eye candy of great rooms and timber arrangements misses the point of how to live.

JBC is one of the interesting American authors that has been largely lost, slyly subversive and deeply Southern and the lady readers were gasping and clutching their pearls in the early 20th century.

MbfVA

Just the two of us. Both in our 60s.  247 acres on the Rivanna River, 175 acres in hardwoods badly in need of cutting.  A fabulous building site high above the river, looking over to property owned by the guy who invented Michael Bloomberg's black box. His house, probably half a mile away as the crow flies cost over $6 million to build 15 years ago, that from one of the contractors who worked on it.   Merv Griffin's ex-wife lives a couple miles down river on over 1000 ac. Nice neighborhood.

That forest and our sawmill means we won't pay out-of-pocket directly for a lot of our building materials, like flooring, the timber frame materials, siding.  You would be amazed at what goes to the landfill around here from the tree guys. When we move to the farm, I hope to capture some of that and turn it into salable wood.  Got to sell that restaurant, too.

It is surprising how many people there are in the building trades who love to hunt.  Several have expressed their willingness to help.  Including one who worked on a $3 million timber frame a little over year ago, subcontractor.  Being on a river, we are lousy with turkey, coyotes, deer, foxes, groundhogs.  Took a photograph of a 200 pound or so bear on a trail cam not too long go.  One of the hunters is considering buying part of our farm and building a house; trading labor & equipment with him, a very experienced guy, would be a real plus. 

My wife is working on that floor plan every day, the living areas, spaces; her talent is organization, spaces, visual stuff, as well as technology.  We've been thinking about this for many years, though if we could have sold the land for a fair price, we may have come out better by buying someone else's expensive mistake; they abound in this area.

Yes, timber frames can be a pain. We have owned one, our log cabin restaurant, for over 31 years.  On the National Register of Historic Places.   Maintenance, do I know how to do maintenance.  I have my fathers porter cable 503 sander, circa 1950, and some more modern tools.

If I have one talent, it is for surprising people with how I can get things done that they don't think I can.  My father built several houses and sold lumber & supplies.  His best friend was an architect who never charged him a dime.

I can do the costs, which I will take a hard look at once we get a basic design settled.  We will adjust our plans to reality & the situation we find ourselves in.  Our designer (who is a bit awol at times, requiring patience) lives in a hammer beam timber frame he built, but I doubt we will go any fancier than a scissor truss.   Big and solid that's what we're looking for.

I'm always open to ideas, always learning.  Looking at other people's work sometimes inspires, sometimes discourages, occasionally confuses but always informs me.  Some of the greatest architects and builders on the planet got ideas from those who came before them,  sometimes from nature itself.   Charlottesville metro is replete with unusual houses, including one that sold a few years ago that was modeled after a chambered Nautilis-- I'm not exaggerating.

I have a souvenir from JBC's yard that the realtor gave me.   It will wind up at our new home.  I know little if anything about his work, just that some people in Richmond swooned over him as you say.  A couple of the neighbors where I lived remembered him, but they didn't really have a lot of nice things to say.   I think it's safe to say they considered him weird.

This repartee is fun but keeping me up. 😵 pardon my typos and g'night.

Thank You Sponsors!