iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Should Have Listened

Started by Darrel, September 13, 2017, 11:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

If I've heard it once, I've heard it 100 times from Magicman and others.

"Don't split the pith!

But did I listen? 

No, I have a brain, I know what I'm doing. :P

On the bright side, I now have a matching pair of 16 foot long sled runners and winter is coming! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Deese

Yep. We've all done that a time or two. I did it once on a very nice bald cypress log. Wasn't mine either. I learned that lesson mighty quick.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Ianab

It's when you DON'T split the pith, and the boards still behave like that, you have a problem.   :-\ :D

Thinking of some small Eucalyptus logs I once sawed.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

We split the pith in cedar all the time.  We used to make mail box posts.  We would make a 3 1/2 x 7 1/8 and split or 7 1/8 x 7 1/8 and quarter.  Very seldom got much movement.    Every once in a while they can go squirrelly though.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ianab

Most Cedars you can get away with ignoring the pith, and still get decent boards.

Other species, not so forgiving.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

longtime lurker

Yup, about 80% of my cut patterns have split the pith as either 1st, 3rd, or 5th cut.

Only way to pull straight timber out of some logs is to split them and let them spring, then pull what you can out the bananas you made.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

You could go into the rocking chair business.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

I made a pair like that once and had a customer ask me about them laying on a pallet.  I told him it took years of study and experience to make perfect McDonald's aches, and if he wanted to buy them, I'd have to charge extra. :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

I had a customer that wanted four 6X6's out of a ~16" Tulip Poplar log.  A bit of wane did not matter.  I said "no" and he said "yes".  I said "no" and explained why, and he said "yes".  Clamping the two 6X12's before the final saw through was a chore.

It would be best described as peeling a banana.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!