iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

money to be made?

Started by Blaszer, September 10, 2017, 08:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaszer

Im considering buying a load of hemlock logs to saw for lumber for the local snowmobile club for their bridges... I can get a tri-axle log truck for $1200....Im figuring on charging 70 cents / bd.ft.   Does anyone have an idea of how many board feet id be getting on a trip axle load? I know theres variables and every truck/load is different , but I'm guessing 2000 bd.ft.  ....If this is the case, I'll end up with $200 return before fuel , teeth, and repairs...

dgdrls

Uncertain on B.F.  on a Tri-axle,
IMHO too much work for $200 before fixed costs are paid,

WV Sawmiller

I agree with dgdrls. Sounds like a lot of risk for too little return if that is correct on bf estimate.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

brad918

$1200 / 2000 bd ft is $0.60 a bd ft. I would charge more than $0.10 a bd ft to saw. First I'd check on what a triaxle can haul. I would think a triaxle is more like 4-5k feet.
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

barbender

$600 per thousand for softwood logs seems like a lot ($300 per cord) but it depends on your area. I think I can get pine logs right now for around $300/MBF delivered. If you update your profile with your location, what kind of mill you have, etc. we might be able to answer your questions better (I know you're not in MN because we don't have any hemlock ;)). I charge 250/mbf for sawing in my yard, I know a lot of folks on here get more, but again, it's something that is somewhat dictated by your area.
Too many irons in the fire

killamplanes

Hemlock or its brother cottonwood here goes for about 250mdft. That's delivered to mill. And 250mdft here would be the minumum a mill would charge to turn it into lumber.  Just fyi locally..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Peter Drouin

Like this is around 4000 to 4500 bf

Like this 6500 to 7500 bf

Alot depends on the length of the truck body.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Blaszer

judging by the pics, I'm guessing id be at 4000-4500 bd ft. per load....I agree that $200 is not worth my time..But if I can get 4500 bd. ft., I could do alright..

Thank You Sponsors!