iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

placement and dimensions of Bladed scarf joint

Started by windfall, September 13, 2017, 12:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windfall

Hello...I have noticed many pictures of Bladed Scarf joints, in a continuos  plate, placed directly over a post.  Do the rules of placement not apply to this type of joint?  I was basing this upon reading placement of most joints, such as, wedged scarf joint, should be supported by the brace and not set directly upon the post. Does this hold true with the Bladed Scarf as well?

Thankyou again!

windfall

oops... forgot the other question.  If using an 8x10 for a plate, Ive seen ratios for other scarf joints, dimensions.  What is the depth to length ratio of the Bladed Scarf joint?

Jim_Rogers

Personally, I don't think any scarf joint should be located over a post. Again, as I have said before, you're asking the timbers to be as strong as they can be (at the post) and then you cut them in half. How can they be as strong as they can be if you cut them in half?

I feel you should locate all scarfs off to the side of a post. Unless an engineer tells you it's ok.

To make it easy to layout you could just do each blade 2" so that you can use a framing square for marking the lines and checking the mortises. And start at the top and do four 2" offsets, and whatever is left over go to the bottom.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

windfall

Thankyou Jim,
Interesting to note how many bladed scarf joints are over posts and, I've rarely seen any wedged scarfs over posts?  I understand why they should not be placed over the post. The graph showing the forces on the plates you posted a while ago explains it all!  Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!