iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mainline ends

Started by Timbercruiser, September 13, 2017, 06:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Does anyone have a good idea for the end of the mainline cable ?  I don't like tie a knot in it and the swage furrils are ok .  I recently seen a nice  eye type thing made by Eaco yrs ago . It looks like a great idea and doesn't waste any mainline  but I think it's no longer available.  Just wanting some good ideas thanks

Bert

I just knot it and take a torch and smooth off any sharps. Im sure theres a better  answer but its all I know.
Saw you tomorrow!

barbender

When I bought my ol skidder the mainline had a couple regular cable clamps on the end. I thought "that will never hold", well, it's still on there. It's just a firewood machine though.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

I like to see it braided and swaged but don't know how to do it. My stepson's grandfather was killed by a failed mainline, it is nothing to fool with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Timbercruiser

I don't think they make many options . I never liked using a knot and would like a better option

Stoneyacrefarm

Barbender.
Almost the same scenario for me.
My machine had 3 clamps on the end of the cable and didn't have any issues.
If the cable wasn't really short. (42')
I would have kept going with it the way it was.
Replaced the short cable with a 75' cable.
If I ever brake the existing cable I will use the clamps on the end of it without any worries.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

reedco

Never owned or ran a skidder  only oilfield winch trucks  used hand tied knots with out problems  swaged   knots are fine  Some one makes a reuseable knot that has brass wedges that was my preference.
Not many trees

Stoneyacrefarm

Problem is it is pretty hard to knot a 5/8 or 3/4 swedged. Cable.  >:(

Even on the smaller Farmi cables. I've had good luck with the U-type clamps.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Neilo

teakwood

X2. Thats the best solution there is. i can get the ferrule off and on again in 5min if you want to add or remove some sliders
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

I use something like this Cable Swivel End.  This one only works up to 10mm (a bit over 3/8"). The design has worked very well for me so far. It's a similar concept to the ferrule. It does not slip on the cable end, yet you can pop it apart in minutes

Hud-son used to sell a model for larger diameter cables (which did not have the swivel on it). I can't seem to find it on their web site anymore.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

coxy

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on September 14, 2017, 12:13:46 AM
Problem is it is pretty hard to knot a 5/8 or 3/4 swedged. Cable.  >:(

Even on the smaller Farmi cables. I've had good luck with the U-type clamps.
I always put vice grips on the cable so I don't loose the end through the knot and winch in a skid or hook it to a tree to tighten the knot

Thank You Sponsors!