Please help identify this, for macaw

Started by hbubley, September 12, 2017, 04:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbubley

Hey everyone! I have a macaw, so when we go for walks and I see wood, or he wants to climb, I need to ensure it's a safe type of wood for him. This smaller sized tree is in my front yard and he'd love to climb it, but I have NO idea what it is. I've tried multiple identification sites with no luck.

Thanks in advance! The leaf surface feels pretty rough

Ianab

Possibly a fig tree? Does it have figs on it?

Should be fine, and the fruit are edible.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hbubley

hbubley

I think it was meant to produce flowers but doesn't anymore, it's supposed to smell nice?

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DelawhereJoe

Mulberry, they grow like weeds around here, the birds eat the fruit fly somewhere and unload them whenever they perch. I'm clearing some land for some friends and near 80% is all mulberry, my next purchase is a clearing saw.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

hbubley

Is it mulberry even if I've never seen it produce fruit?

DelawhereJoe

It might not be mature enough yet, I don't know how old or large they have to be to start producing fruit. Largest red mulberry I have ever seen is about 66" at dhb or 210" cbh its about 20 minutes from my house.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ToddsPoint

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

hbubley

Thank you all so much!! I'm learning a lot here, I didn't realize males didn't produce fruit!

My mom seems convinced it's a lilac tree? She's the one that planted it many years ago, not sure if that's a possibility?

hbubley

Just looked at the leaves of a lilac tree and it's impossible. Must be a mulberry!! Thanks everyone!!

Roxie

Hi hbubley. and welcome to the forum.   :)

It would help with identification if you tell us what state or country you're located. 

Looks like a mulberry to me too.  Good call @fishpharmer. 

You sure wouldn't want a fruited mulberry that close to your house.  I've ruined more clothes than I can count just by mowing under the one on my property.
Say when

hbubley

I'm in the chicago suburbs, midwest! :)

Haha, I'm uncoordinated enough as is, all of my clothes would end up stained! Plus the bird gets everything messy enough :)

Ron Scott

~Ron