iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chestnut oak?

Started by alanh, September 12, 2017, 08:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

I finally got around to dragging 3 of these up the 50 ft riverbank, (no small task) I`m told they are chestnut oak. Two questions, are they? and whats it good for, will it outlast red oak as trailer decking? (wouldn`t take much.) I`m done replacing decking after 4 years tops. I have black locust but its pretty tough to get a 16 footer out of it and both trailers I need to do need 16`s
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/18098/chestnut_oak~0.jpg

nativewolf

Not enough for me to tell what that is.  Others are better.

As for wood hardness, Chestnut oak is a white oak and has greater rot resistance, if outside in the weather you'd be better off with Black Locust or treating your decking by hot dipping it in a tank of diesel or if you can't do that than mop the dry chestnut with diesel as much as you can. 

If it were me I'd come down to VA where some enterprising bloke is pulling 60' locust poles (ok, not many of those truth to tell) from his woods prior to them being logged :).   Someone in that area has to have locust timbers, get 8's and bolt them in.
Liking Walnut

AdamT

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

moodnacreek

Chestnut oak [rock oak]  normally is found on high rocky soil. It has deep furrowed bark and often is crooked.  With all the sap wood trimmed off and the planks seasoned it could last 20 years . It also helps to plane it.

Thank You Sponsors!