iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill warning to all users

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 11, 2017, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

If you have a mill that you are happy with do not attempt to operate a bigger mill with more power and more options than your current mill provides. Doing so can lead to anxiety issues and attacks of nocturnal drooling.

I had a new client call several weeks back. He is a surgeon in Wisconsin but they own a home and land here in the county that his ancestors owned. He told me he had an LT50 HD diesel mill he needed help in learning how to use. I advised him I'd be glad to help but that his mill had several features I was not experienced with. He came down this week and I went to help him this morning.

In addition to the mill the client had a big Bobcat 750 with a grapple attachment. We looked over the mill which he had set up very well. He did not know what the band on the mill was so we decided to start with a pine log for stickers. His log pile had pine, WO, RO, Poplar and Hemlock.

The log turned out to be pretty punky and the blade was dull and I tended to try to run too fast with all that power and auto clutch. Lacking the manual blade engage function and the manual arm I was used to using I did not have my grab bar to hold on to while sawing and resting my hand on the control panel meant I'd nudge the speed controller by mistake. I got a blade hung and we had to take it out so was able to show the  client how to use wedges.

We opened his new box of 10 degree double hard blades and put one one then loaded a nice red oak on to make some 12.5" wide 6/4 stair treads and 4/4 side lumber. We got about 150 bf of pretty nice lumber including some very pretty, naturally occurring quartersawn boards.

The differences I noted on the LT50 over my LT35 included:

1. Autoclutch - much easier to engage/disengage but I needed to learn what to do with my right hand without my "Grab bar".

2. Auto blade guide open/close - very nice function.

3. Log turning chain - added an extra toggle on the hydraulics row in the center. Just need to learn more about which direction to rotate the chain in the direction wanted and also also to use the clamp more to lift/turn cants or use a mill special Logrite to avoid chain damage to the face of the cant. I like the chain better than the claw on my current mill.

4.  Blade access panel - one feature I like better on my mill. Mine opens simply on hinges instead of removing panels. The extra head support rail is no doubt required for the heavier engine makes necessary. This is an area for potential design improvement IMHO.

5. Accuset II vs Simpleset - computes the kerf for you in board cuts. I still had to do some quick math on 2nd face to get the cant to the width of my desired finished boards and I still used my cheat sheet for my starting point on the 4th face. I am sure there are other functions there that would have done this for me if I had known more about how to use them. I can see where the auto up function could be used to help in this issue.

6. More power - great but just need to learn to use it better.

Bottom line - if you have a manual mill don't try one with hydraulics. If you have occasional power issues on your gas mill don't try a mill with a big diesel engine. Don't try a mill with Auto clutch or auto bar guide or you will be dreaming about getting one the rest of your life.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ga Mtn Man

A day or too running a manual mill is the cure for what ails you.  A quote from WM on an LT50 might work too.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

WV, the function on pattern mode will end all factors of the mind game,  they have 16 programmable settings for each,, auto up, auto down, and pattern,, once the numbers are saved,, there is nothing but dust from here on out,,and yes there is a learning curve ;D  but once one has it,, its over for the logs,,maximum yields, very little waste,  they are sweet,, the 3 phase 70 I ran ruined me, I'm sure my 40 super was like," I'm not a 70!!" 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

My LT35 is suffering from depression because of my trip today. I am thinking about painting over the 3 on the cover to make it into an 8 to make him think he has been upgraded to an LT85 and give him a big ego boost. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 11, 2017, 06:13:08 PM
   My LT35 is suffering from depression because of my trip today. I am thinking about painting over the 3 on the cover to make it into an 8 to make him think he has been upgraded to an LT85 and give him a big ego boost. :D

:D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dave Shepard

The LT70 has a single post mast like your LT35.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red

I have seen pictures of a prototype LT 80 but it was a very long time ago
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

bandmiller2

Don't feel bad I spent two years on an LT-70 with all the options, three phase, then to my homebuilt. When I feel abused I remember my buddy spent about $50.000 I spent $500 and they do the same thing mine just takes a little longer. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Going bigger is always fun. I went from an old 40 manual to a 40 hd to the 40 supper.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Well I hope he is paying you for the time you're losing at home dreaming about his mill.
Boy, back in my day..

Weekend_Sawyer

I got to run my buddy's LT35 for a month last year.
I loved it. LOVE the hydraulics!!

But for my weekend warrior antics my ol Norwood 2000 gets the job done just fine.

But then again if I had a pocket full of disposable income...
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

clintnelms

Stay in good with him. Maybe he'll decide it's not for him and let you just have it lol

JB Griffin

Hell, I went from a sawmill shaped object ( keener built) to a lt 40 hyd with a 33hp kubota, to the biggest, baddest mill baker makes. I'm spoilt and I know it, now I hate running my wm.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

JB,

If you hate running that WM so bad now I coul help by giving it a new home here where you won't have to look at it every day. :D

Haven't seen one of those Bakers yet but have never heard anything but good good reports from them.
Howard Green

Deese

I went from an EZ Boardwalk manual 13hp gas to an LT40 Super 51hp diesel. I sawed no telling how many bf with the EZ. Probably close to a couple hundred thousand BF. However, today I sawed 35 16' 2x4''s in about 90 minutes. Close to $300. Well, more closer to $200. Best decision I've made in a while. PostonLT40 would be proud. I don't think I'll ever need anything bigger. Aw heck, I want the 70 in a couple years.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Darrel

Here's an LT80 in action. And no, I don't expect you to watch the whole video.

https://youtu.be/MJ8a3jLNM5U
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

scully

I have had the good fortune of starting off with my LT40 super Kabota . prior to that I ran most versions of the LT40 etc. So for me it takes a little more to get me excited . And the LT70 super hyd. does that . I got to see a young guy run one flat out and just stood there in awe ! One thing that always amazes me is seeing what guys do with even the most crude home built mill . I have seen stuff done with a chainsaw mill that is just fantastic .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

I saw too many oversized logs myself to not watch the entire video and I hate that the video ended before the entire log was sawn.  I wish that I could see that sawmill in person and be able to ask some questions about some of the things that I saw.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Yep. I had to watch the whole thing too. I did not even know they made an LT80. This was obviously in Europe somewhere. Everybody smoking was typical of the folks I worked with in Afghanistan who came from the Balkans area. I did not think the arms on the mill were long enough to fit under the log. I wonder why they did not keep them raised part way during sawing. Its what I was taught and have seen everyone else do. I did not see him using his debarker either. I cringed when I saw them dragging that pretty slab around with the tractor. I hate to think of the dirt and gravel they dragged into it.

That was a huge log. I kept expecting to see them split it into smaller cants and start making boards.
Howard Green

PA_Walnut

I saw that chain turner on an LT70 and have been loosing sleep ever since. Can that be added/retrofitted to a 40 with existing hydraulics and claw? Any other options? I have a LOT of quartersawing of HUGE material coming up and that would be a god-send.

Thanks.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WV Sawmiller

I keep thinking about how handy that Auto-Up function of Acccuset II would be. Set it on a known starting point on the 4th face then auto up in various increments of the boards I want then stop when I run out of clear face, switch to auto down and start sawing. Would be more accurate than me trying to add different thicknesses and kerf in my aging and decrepit head.

I don't know how many of you with A-II that way but if I had it I'd sure be trying it that way.
Howard Green

clintnelms

I just wish I had a hydraulic mill. All I got is a manual HM126 which is a great mill, but it kicks my ass by the end of the day.

4x4American

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 14, 2017, 12:26:29 PM
   I keep thinking about how handy that Auto-Up function of Acccuset II would be. Set it on a known starting point on the 4th face then auto up in various increments of the boards I want then stop when I run out of clear face, switch to auto down and start sawing. Would be more accurate than me trying to add different thicknesses and kerf in my aging and decrepit head.

I don't know how many of you with A-II that way but if I had it I'd sure be trying it that way.

I do that some times.  Mainly I just use it to ball park me and then I bump the up a little bit more in manual mode to leave me some room to flip and trim to size
Boy, back in my day..

Delawhere Jack

I wish my mill had lasers. Not really sure why, or what they would do. But it would be really cool to have lasers!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!