iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thin final cuts

Started by Treehack, September 15, 2017, 12:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehack

Had a little brainstorm today, as opposed to the brainfarts I normally experience.  Probably already been covered before, but I had need to get down to 1/2 inch cut on my final pass but my mill only goes to 1.5 inch from rails.  I fashioned these rail extensions from the scrap pile(thought about dipping into all this black walnut I got laying around just to get WDH fired up a little, but I'm nicer than that). 

They slip over the existing rails, butt up to the existing cant stops, and have their own stops for clamping against.  Now I can get down to 1/2 inch.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Looks like it will work, not a bad idea at all,, I've sawn a pile of thin stock,, seems like a log will yield a lot of 1/2" stock,, so my biggest question is,,is getting three boards from each worth it,? not at all trying to be critical,,  and if this is a resaw thing then heck yea!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Roundhouse

Nice. I have a couple similar extensions myself, one is 1" thick one is 1.5" thick. I use them as poor man's toe boards when I need to level the center of a log. These two sizes have done the trick whenever I need to level up a log.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

OffGrid973

When pieces get too light I am afraid they will go flying off the mill.  I see the small stop, but how do you clamp it tight ?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

DPatton

Quote from: cwimer973 on September 16, 2017, 04:29:55 PM
When pieces get too light I am afraid they will go flying off the mill.  I see the small stop, but how do you clamp it tight ?

Cwimer973,
his TK rails have a little 3/4" tall solid stop mounted on each rail so the rail extensions wont slide past those stops. TK's log clamp is between the rails allowing him to clamp the cant against the stops on the extensions. But
I hear what your saying about to light of a piece.
I'm kinda wondering how Treehack successfully saws a consistent 1/2" thickness on his finally pass. My personal experience is that when sawing a piece that thin on my last pass the piece will flex between rails leaving me with an inconsistent thickness on that last pass.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

opticsguy

Goooooooood morning Treehack!!   

NICE TK 1220!!!!   Nice to see another person who made a super choice in buying a TK 1220.  Purchased mine waaaay back about 2010, delivery made almost the same day I was diagnosed with cancer. The TK1220 gave me a strong reason to live and now so many years have passed with so much lumber cut, all just for a woodworkers hobby!  what fun and inspiration my saw has provided.

Hope you are having as much fun as me!!!!! Any other cool modifications you have made?   Enjoy your day and every day!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Treehack

Exactly right on stops and clamp, Dpatton.  As far as flex in 1/2" pieces, only thing I have taken down that thin is 6" wide osage for siding, so not much flex.  If I were to try that with wide pine, might be problematic.  I anticipate mostly using when cutting 4/4 and not wanting to end with off size at end.

Optics guy,
Has that sawdust cancer therapy passed clinical trials?  You could be onto something there.  Hope you keep it up for many more years.  I'm having a blast with mine, just wish had more hours in day.  Have not done any other mods yet.  Have to get through the stack of logs that has accumulated in my back yard.  I keep inheriting logs from a contractor friend whenever he has to do clearing at job sites.  Can't get through them fast enough with everything else I have going on, but that is a problem I don't mind having.

Treehack

Quote from: drobertson on September 15, 2017, 10:41:17 PM
Looks like it will work, not a bad idea at all,, I've sawn a pile of thin stock,, seems like a log will yield a lot of 1/2" stock,, so my biggest question is,,is getting three boards from each worth it,? not at all trying to be critical,,  and if this is a resaw thing then heck yea!

Good point.  Inspiration came when I was cutting all 1/2" siding for my mill shelter.  I already had the structural work done with no need for any more thick stock, but was ending up with extra.  Since I had the thought now that I'm done with siding, will probably be mostly for resawing or cutting 4/4 all the way to bottom. 

Thank You Sponsors!