iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help with tree identification

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, September 11, 2017, 03:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I always thought that the walnut trees that we had were butternut variety. I have 3 of them that match everything I've read and or seen on line. Yesterday, my wife and I went for a walk on our property where we haven't really gone to before. There were a lot of nut trees and when my wife asked what the tree was I immediately guessed that it was a butternut based on how the bark and leaves looked, but the fruit was not as elongated as what I have seen near my butternuts. Can someone help?

Fruit: The two brown ones are connected, the green ones were separate (both picked up off the forest floor not from the trees themselves). Are they bot the same fruit? The butternut ones near my field are more elongated; these were spherical.

Some bark pictures (probably not helpful?)

TKehl

I'm a long way from MA, but that last picture sure looks like Shagbark Hickory. 

The green ones could be Hickory nuts.  Don't see many on the ground until the husks open.  Can you peel the husk to show the nut?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

John Mc

Quote from: TKehl on September 11, 2017, 05:47:03 PM

Around my part of VT, Shagbark Hickories are a whole lot "shaggier". (but maybe that's a function of age? The ones on my property are older and larger)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

TreeStandHunter

In the process of building my own mill.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: TKehl on September 11, 2017, 05:47:03 PM

The green ones could be Hickory nuts.  Don't see many on the ground until the husks open.  Can you peel the husk to show the nut?
They are pretty tough but I can try.

Quote from: John Mc on September 11, 2017, 06:32:29 PM
Around my part of VT, Shagbark Hickories are a whole lot "shaggier". (but maybe that's a function of age? The ones on my property are older and larger)

I have smaller diameter trees on the property that are "shaggier" than this one as well. Maybe just different species of Hickory?

Quote from: TreeStandHunter on September 11, 2017, 09:57:41 PM
Mockernut Hickory

I think you may have it! I found this on line and a lot of the information jives with what I see where the trees are, etc. Are the brown nuts the same just older or are they from a different variety of hickory?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carya_tomentosa

TreeStandHunter

Quote from: TreeStandHunter on September 11, 2017, 09:57:41 PM
Mockernut Hickory

I think you may have it! I found this on line and a lot of the information jives with what I see where the trees are, etc. Are the brown nuts the same just older or are they from a different variety of hickory?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carya_tomentosa
[/quote]

They are the same just aged. For some reason the squirrels havent gotten to them yet haha
In the process of building my own mill.

TKehl

I'll buy that.  Turns out there are more varieties of Hickory than I was taught.   ::)

Had the same thing happen with Oak.  Growing up I thought there was regular Oak, White Oak, and Black Oak.  Later found out about Pin and Burr oak.  Found out recently there are a LOT more.  Learning a lot here.   ;D

Betting the brown ones were aborted or knocked off prematurely (wind or wildlife). 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

larry1

My buddy in Dundas Ontario has acres of them and he claims they are Black Walnut trees with the same seed . The squirrels grind the outside to store away the seed for the winter and of course they grow . Most of his trees are 12 -30 inch dia , the question is , are they worth anything?

WDH

It is actually Carya ovalis, red hickory.  It is now considered a variety of pignut hickory. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=826

Mockernut bark is usually not that scaly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reelman65

Quote from: WDH on October 24, 2017, 07:52:25 AM
It is actually Carya ovalis, red hickory.  It is now considered a variety of pignut hickory. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=826

Mockernut bark is usually not that scaly.

I agree. Mockernut usually has that "diamond web" pattern that persists even when they get big.
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

moodnacreek

Walnut and hickory are related. There are  4 or 5 hickories in the northeast but most people only know shag bark.

Thank You Sponsors!