iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally starting to set up mill

Started by cbailey1956, September 09, 2017, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbailey1956

Hello to all.  Been a long time lurking here but trying to soak up as much as I could before starting.  Finally laid up four small piers to set the sawmill corner posts on.  I have 60 acres but nothing flat so all buildings require prep.  Purchased the mighty mite saw last year and have been busy like everybody else but told myself to quit thinking and start doing.  I hope to have some help the next couple days to set up the framework and saw carriage.  Rebuilt engine is in garage waiting to place on mill when all is put together.  Anyway wanted to say thanks in advance to all those who post allowing the rest of us to use your experiences.  Craig in VA. 

Craig

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF.
Big fan of MM mills.

Look forward to seeing your build,

best
D

thecfarm

Glad you joined.
That yellow thing will level some ground.
As one of my friends would say,We could do some damage with that.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Looking forward to see the mill up and running
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

jwade

welcome cbailey plenty of helpful people here. originally from bedford myself. hope all goes smoothly

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Darrel

cbailey, welcome to the forum.

I learned something new today, I didn't know mighty might made a circle mill.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

cbailey1956

More progress today.  Had a good friend help me get it up and on its posts.  I think the term "portable" means something different to me.  Anyway another step taken.  Good friend is in picture, not me. 

Craig

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ianab

I think the term is more " transportable". D)

Now with a trailer mounted band mill or a swing blade, you can pull up and get set up in maybe 15 mins. It's even practical to move the mill to the next log if it's too heavy to move easily.

But that machine you want to be setting up on site with a big stack of logs beside it, and plan on it sitting there for a few days.

Get good production once you are set up and running though.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

starmac

I know of several mobile deminsional mills that are very similar and trailer mounted and very portable. At the auction last weekend there was a timber champ (also very similar) that was mounted on a trailer, about as portable as a guy can get.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

cbailey1956

I bought it after it had been disassembled and replaced with 2 bandsaws.  Never got to see it set up until I just assembled it.  Thought about putting it on a trailer frame but then I saw it is 13 ft wide at the base of its mounting posts.  I assume new end rails could be made to fit about 8ft wide if I ever want to make it truly portable.  Maybe these are not standard end rails,  I think I am at least the 3rd owner and it is very early production.  Currently going through all gearboxes to replace bearings and seals so all play is within specs.  At least mighty mite factory said they had lots of parts in stock.  Maybe / hopefully in a couple weeks it will be sawing. Then I can be 3rd member of fan club.

Craig

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

dgdrls

cbailey1956

No new progress.  Had it running and cut enough 2x material out of some pine and got two small projects framed out.  Then I got bothered by people wanting me to fix their tractors and construction equipment.  Winter is upon me now and I hope to get a roof over it soon.  Did get to cut some nice 2 1/4 x 10 by 12 ft white oak planks for a friends trailer deck.  Had to call him to help off bear as I could not pick up by myself.  Am very happy with the way it cuts.  Just getting the feel of it and hope to get a good live deck built to handle logs better.  Thanks for asking.
Craig

bandmiller2

The best way to find work, is to not want it. Glad your up and running. Theirs nothing like a roof and a dry place to work. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!