iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-purposed Slabs

Started by tgalbraith, December 03, 2017, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

My new neighbors recently purchased the old schoolhouse that I attended as a young'un and are remodeling it to be as close as possible to what it was back then.  Several other owners had tried to make it more modern.  As a "house warming" gift, I made them a rustic bench out of slabs from my discard pile. Here are some photos. They seemed to like it fine. 8)

First two pictures are during construction. 

Second two are the finished product.

This is ware I larned to rede an rite.  The new owners took out a cathedral ceiling to show the original embossed tin ceiling and took out the carpet and re-sanded the original hardwood floor. Everything looks A-OK
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

thecfarm

I betcha they will like it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rasman57

That's a great project you did for them....especially as it was your schoolhouse.  Good stuff!

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

YellowHammer

Thats very nice.  Do you have a photo from the back?  I'm interested in how you did the backrest and mounted it toe the Botton slab.  What size tenons did you use?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tgalbraith

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the back, and I already delivered it. In the second photo of my post, you can see some of the details.  I drilled 1'" holes in the bottom of the backrest parallel to the face and at my desired angle into the back legs,( Seat was too shallow to allow the back to be attached there) After the back was in place, I fashioned armrests and supports with 1" sections shaved on the ends. I drilled stopped holes in the back and seat and drilled 5/8" holes at a 45 degree angle; stopped on the armrest and thru on the seat. I tapped a 5/8"  dowel down thru the hole of the seat (visible on  the photo) and after installing the armests and front supports, I tapped the dowel back up to seat in the hole on the armrest.  After all parts were in place properly, I locked all the joints with finishing nails.  The unit was very ridged when complete. I hope this answers your question.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Thank You Sponsors!