iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips for disassembly of timber frame?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, September 09, 2017, 04:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I am about to try to take apart a timber frame treehouse, hoping to save the frame.  Members are hemlock which were pegged with red and white oak pegs, tightly draw-bored.  The pegs were inside (very) dry,  and the frame was probably 15-20% MC when the frame was assembled.

I am planning to try to knock the pins out with cylindrical punches made out of steel round stock, but have no idea whether this will work yet.

Am wondering whether anyone knows of  tricks to timber frame disassembly. Maybe  center of the pegs for example or drilling out the pegs and heating them somehow to shrink them to make them easier to get out.   Advice welcome.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Don P

I'd try drilling the center of the pegs out with a long 5/8" brad point bit and then punching them out. A few taps each way to get them moving. If they are extended put a set of vise grips on them and twist a little as you go. If they are stuck use a long 1/4" chisel and collapse them into the drilled hole.

Dave Shepard

3/16" pilot hole and sink a 6" Headlok, or GRK RSS, and a long pry bar. A slide hammer with a hook to catch the screw head is even better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 09, 2017, 05:43:15 PM
3/16" pilot hole and sink a 6" Headlok, or GRK RSS, and a long pry bar. A slide hammer with a hook to catch the screw head is even better.

When you do this, sometimes the peg may split. If it does put a hose clamp around it to hold it tight or together around the screw.

Also, some people put a small cone shape into the end of their "push pin" so that the end of the peg being pushed can be centered on the push pin. You have to be careful that the push pin doesn't go beside the old peg and get wedged in there.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

terrifictimbersllc

I pulled two 6" pegs quite easily this morning. 

One peg was 3/4" and the other 1" diameter.  First I drilled a 3/16" hole all the way through the peg.  Then I screwed in, most of the way, a 5/16" GRK-RSS screw.  I used a 4" screw for the 3/4 peg,  and a 5-1/8" one for the 1" peg.  I put a nut under the head of the screw.  I didn't insert the screw all the way just to the end of the main threads.

With a 48" wrecking bar from Harbor Freight ($25) each pin came out quite easily.  The only trick was holding up boards of increasing thickness to pry against, to avoid bending the screw.  The nut actually helped a little with the spacing, I could pull on the nut or not.

I now feel confident I can take the frame apart efficiently and without damage .  Thank you all for your replies and Dave for this excellent tip.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DPatton

That's a great photo demonstration of how you did your peg removal. Thanks for sharing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

flyingparks

Why on earth would you take down a timber frame treehouse???? :snowball:

terrifictimbersllc

A time to build, a time to take down.

It's going to live somewhere else.

Thank You Sponsors!