iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beginner Woodturner

Started by Hilltop366, September 09, 2017, 11:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

So a couple of years ago I picked up a old Craftsman hobby wood lathe and occasionally try to make something on it.

Some times practical other times just for fun. Most of the wood comes from the firewood pile.

A mount for a $10 pole saw blade, a little time on the lathe and borrowing the aluminum pole from the pool vacuum I have a 17' pole saw for trimming tree branches. (ash)

A handle for a diy hookaroon (ash)  The hook is made from a broken socket set ratchet handle and a piece of pipe. It works well but the hook could use a bit of refining.

Then I bought a scroll chuck and a small bowl gouge and face shield.

A small dish (6") with wide rim. (birch)

A small bowl. (Maple ?) Not really sure on the maple I have a bit more set aside but I wish I hadn't burnt so much in the wood boiler how ever I sure did enjoy being warm last winter.

Ljohnsaw

Wow, nice!  I really like that plate.  Did you do that with the little 4-jaw chuck plate?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

Thanks, no I bought a Nova Chuck 4 jaw scroll chuck, it cost me more than the lathe setup, I tried using the 4 jaw chuck but it is hard to get things held well and centred well in it. Thats why I got a slightly crooked nose and a face shield.

Dan_Shade

I enjoy turning, I've done more spindle turning than face turning.

There are good videos and books available, Richard Raffan and Alan Lancer both are good.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Hilltop366

Thanks Dan, I will check them out.

My wife got me the Keith Rowley "Woodturning a foundation course" book and dvd for Christmas last year which really helped.

DPatton

That bowl is beautiful Hilltop and so is the plate.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Larry

Excellent bowls.  Finish is good and I like the design.

My first lathe was one of those Craftsman.  Spindle work only and I didn't like doing it because I didn't know what I was doing.  Sold it and few years later picked up an old Delta, than another one.  Figured I needed to learn how to turn so I went to a week long school.  Still don't know how to turn but I'm getting better.  Of course I decided I needed a big lathe so sold both Delta's.  Now I'm pretty much hooked and joined a club a couple of years ago.

Went to the AAW symposium in KC and saw a bunch of pro turners doing demos.  Really liked Richard Raffan so when I got home checked out his DVD from the club and found his book on ebay.  $8 delivered and I've learned a lot.  Ellsworth also has a book worth the money.

Believe it or not turning has taught me a lot that has helped with my flat work and also on the sawmill.  I look at wood in an entirely new light.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Hilltop366

Thanks guys, I sure do look at trees differently now I also find myself cutting and splitting firewood differently trying to find interesting grain patterns.

As far as finish goes I have been using what I had on hand which is Minwax paste finishing wax, if the wood has softer areas in it I have put their pre stain sealer and it and let it dry it seem to help cut and sand smoother.

ESFted

You have fallen into the spinny vortex.  It's addictive...in a good way.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

ron barnes

I am not an experienced pro like a lot of folks but I really love working on the lathe.  Doesn't matter if it is bowls, pens, bottle stoppers, or whatever.  The lathe is an addiction and I love it.  Be safe though.  I too have a more crooked nose due to a piece of red tip bush coming off the chuck.

Thank You Sponsors!