The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Used a new (to me) tool today  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need
Re: Used a new (to me) tool today
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
21 , those blades can be sharpened , Just make sure that you stop using the blade when it gets just a bit more difficult to cut metal like a hot knife through butter.  If you find that you had to push a bit hard (or more than softly) on the blade remove it and send it to the guy that sharpens carbide wood saw blades.  Make sure you need less than five teeth replaced before sending it in .  It cost me about $20.oo a tooth to replace them .  Ideally you will not need any new teeth if you stop cutting intime .

What brand is your plasma setup?   Don't you have an exhaust fan for under the table? that makes our setup a lot cleaner while cutting.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 11:13:30 pm »
21 , those blades can be sharpened , Just make sure that you stop using the blade when it gets just a bit more difficult to cut metal like a hot knife through butter.  If you find that you had to push a bit hard (or more than softly) on the blade remove it and send it to the guy that sharpens carbide wood saw blades.  Make sure you need less than five teeth replaced before sending it in .  It cost me about $20.oo a tooth to replace them .  Ideally you will not need any new teeth if you stop cutting intime .

What brand is your plasma setup?   Don't you have an exhaust fan for under the table? that makes our setup a lot cleaner while cutting.

I have read there is not enough side clearance to regrind them. I will have to check into that.
I designed and built the table years ago. My first try at cnc and servo motors so it was a challenge. It just has a hypertherm 45 so it will only cut 1/2 inch and a candcnc digital thc. I did build a plenum with a furnace blower that will remove the smoke, but have never made the ductwork to run it outside so I rely on a exhaust fan in the back wall of the shop. It doesn't get used that much so I just keep putting off making the ductwork.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:24 am »
I've had an Evolution steel cutting circular saw for about 12 years.  It's a great tool.  Loud and messy but sure makes a nice cut.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »
I just got my Evolution Rage3 and it throws a lot more hot chips at me then the other one, but it can do compound cuts in steel. Basically a slow speed miter saw. The blade will cut steel, aluminum, wood, & plastic pretty good. Plus I got the diamond blade for bricks, stone, & tile. Have to use my grinding face shield with this one.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Crusarius

• Lost in....
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 03:20:48 pm »
pretty much same thing I have. And X2 on everything you said.
I knew what I thought I meant.