iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

colvert pipe

Started by coxy, September 08, 2017, 08:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

had to get a access permit  to put in a road/driveway in there prints it says there has to be an 18in  pipe with  x grade sloping back from the road then y grade going up 100ft the trouble is with x grade with the pipe the pipe will be completely buried in the ground and no way will water run through it there ditch is no even close to being deep enough for a 18in pipe showed the engineer it was no going to work he said that's the rules and go by it   ??? I don't understand there thinking   

Peter Drouin

They have a lot of education, but no comment sense is all. Can't fix stupid. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Sounds like the state. In Maine a 18 inch or larger has to be used.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Common sense road side engineering, make it work with the existing flow line
as close to the guidelines as possible,

D

Brandon1986

Excavation being our primary business logging secondary I run into this all the time.. Had near the same thing just last week.. Our problem was with a 15" though... not much different but some.. We just buried the culvert to where it would fit under the road and the water will pool in the culvert in this case about 4" until it eventually fills and levels out.. The inspector said that was just fine, we met the 15' criteria.. Absolutely asinine way to go about it, but it met the criteria.  Your results may vary depending on inspector..

mills

Had a job a few years ago where we extended the culvert on a drive way to make it wide enough for a semi. We didn't call the state, but did put it in to their specs. (My son is a civil engineer.) Now this was in the next county over and we never heard anything from the state guys. Guarantee they would have been beating on the door the next day had it had been in my home county. ::)

nativewolf

Just pulled a permit to widen our driveway, had a 12" pipe and our extension has to be wider.  I've got an 18" double wall pipe we'll put in and then cover with gravel but here's my issue, the ditch is not going to drain at all as further down the road the ditch has filled in.  Oh well.  I'll have a wider driveway entrance and let the state deal with the ditch (after logging finished and I've cleaned up I might even call them to suggest it ).  $2300 bond until the work is finished.  Then 6 weeks to get our money back minus $100 fee.

Liking Walnut

coxy

Quote from: nativewolf on September 10, 2017, 10:31:46 AM
Just pulled a permit to widen our driveway, had a 12" pipe and our extension has to be wider.  I've got an 18" double wall pipe we'll put in and then cover with gravel but here's my issue, the ditch is not going to drain at all as further down the road the ditch has filled in.  Oh well.  I'll have a wider driveway entrance and let the state deal with the ditch (after logging finished and I've cleaned up I might even call them to suggest it ).  $2300 bond until the work is finished.  Then 6 weeks to get our money back minus $100 fee.
:o :o ours is 500 and get 425 back when its approved we did a permanent drive way permit the original access to the property was blocked off by the county 25 years ago with gard  rail and we wanted them to move it they told us that no one said anything in the last 25 years so we would have to pay to move it    a team of 4 workers a engineer  3 trucks one with a rail post puller and a service truck  it was going to be about 5k + then another engineer comes out and says we don't have enough sight distance you only have 483 feet and need 500 ::)  so we moved the road and got the permanent permit  I don't think they want anyone to make a living

bitternut

When we had our timber sale we had to put in a landing that required 40' of 15" culvert. We paid for the pipe which was supplied by the town and they installed it. They even stoned up both ends of the pipe and the pipe was supplied at the state bid price which was a bargain price. They did a real nice job too. Our install was on a town road so maybe that is why we got such a good deal. We are at the opposite end of the state from you and a long ways from the idiots in NYC so that may have made a big difference also.

coxy

our town is great I get along very good with all the guys most every winter they will break down with the plow truck and come knocking on my door at 2-3am to call there boss  ;D they get no phon or radio signal where we live so I get a little better treatment than some people if you know what I mean  :)

dsgsr

Here in Maine, I've found it easier to ask for forgiveness than permission:) Do it, usually no one will know the difference.

David 
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Corley5

A few years ago a local contractor observed that the county driveway inspector rarely got out of his truck on final inspections.  The contractor got a lot of mileage out of 30' culverts because no one ever looked to see if there was daylight visible at the other end.  He only did this where water would never run in them anyway and to my knowledge never did get caught.  He's since retired and left the area.     
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

Quote from: dsgsr on September 10, 2017, 06:49:26 PM
Here in Maine, I've found it easier to ask for forgiveness than permission:) Do it, usually no one will know the difference.

David
:D :D :D :-X :-X

nativewolf

Quote from: bitternut on September 10, 2017, 12:13:43 PM
When we had our timber sale we had to put in a landing that required 40' of 15" culvert. We paid for the pipe which was supplied by the town and they installed it. They even stoned up both ends of the pipe and the pipe was supplied at the state bid price which was a bargain price. They did a real nice job too. Our install was on a town road so maybe that is why we got such a good deal. We are at the opposite end of the state from you and a long ways from the idiots in NYC so that may have made a big difference also.

Yep there are good working govt's out there.  Thanks for reminding everyone. 
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

David

The best thing about where i live, and why i chose it, is a total lack of government.  Other than the shlubs who drop off the mail in their bombed out CRV or subaru or lumina.. We dont see any govt out here.  Do whatever you want suits me just right.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I keep thinking Montana would be nice.

Nazi NY wears on you after a while.

coxy

well ran in to an issue the last 25ft of the road was a huge rock ran all around and found a guy working up the road and asked him about moving it he came down looked at it and said he was going to another job and would stop on the way through and move it asked how much said 300 bucks he started at 2pm quit at 7pm  and never found the bottom of the rock dug down 8ft  could not move it so he ripped it down over 5ft to get the grade for the road the rock was 13ft long and 11ft wide  :o  and who know how thick when he got done we asked what we owed him he said I told you 300 so that's what it is we gave him 450 and he was very thankful he said that was the first rock his pc150 could not wiggle and the hardest rock he ever tried to rip apart  :D

GRANITEstateMP

David

I like that theory too, we use it in NH!  My Brother-in-law said his house permit was the last one he planed on getting.  As he said, they'll find a way to make a buck and tax ya on it, might as well make them work at it a bit!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

peterpaul

Here in Mass, the Building Code is the "Minimum" a structure can be built to (including site planning) and zoning enforcement is pretty strict.  The codes are there for a reason, mainly to protect the consumer and those who come in contact with the "work".  As a licensed contractor, I'm a firm believer in doing things right per the coder or better.  There are so many "fly by night" crooks out there, we all know them but the new commers to town may not.  Trying to write a code/standard, putting ink on paper is extremely difficult with all the variables involved.  Sometimes it doesn't make the most sense but for the the vast majority of situations it does.  For example it is against the code to grade a property so as to drain onto the abutters.  The code in this case protects the abutter.  If you should purchase that property from an owner who hired a contractor who "begged for forgiveness" and ignored the code you'd be in the world of hurt.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

Crusarius

I hate to agree but the codes are not just money grabs. they actually are there for just that reason. But who says they can't make money off of them to.

The taxes wouldn't bother me if they were fair. Unfortunately during my assessment phase they used my own house against me and refused to find a third house that was not the one being appraised.

Stoneyacrefarm

They certainly do make money on them.
When I submitted for a building permit the building inspector asked me how much it was going to cost to build my house. I told him the number and he said.
Thank you for being honest.
That will be $1486.00 dollars please.
I about passed out.
Should have lied like everyone else does.  >:(
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

don't get me started on taxes I have 2a with 65ft of road frontage the house was built in 1970 by my dad its 48x36 nothing great trust me and half a basement that holds the oil burner and water tank with just enough room to walk in and cant stand up straight or you will bang you head its only 5ft 8in high    my land tax was 2100 there is a guy 1 mile from here that has 6a with 200ft road frontage just built a new house 6 years ago 60x40 full finished basement 26x40 barn/garage/wood working shop  and his land tax was 1600  his value land and house was 118k  ???my house is 170k :o his is finished my house isn't it has only has half the siding on it and thinking about taking it off and just leaving the foam board insulation exposed and make them reassess it       

grouch

coxy,

Is there a special tax rate for farms? Here, if you have 5 acres or more that's "unimproved", it qualifies for the farm property tax rate.
Find something to do that interests you.

reride82

Quote from: Crusarius on September 11, 2017, 08:17:25 PM
I keep thinking Montana would be nice.

Nazi NY wears on you after a while.

It is!  :D  :D  :D ;)  ;)  :)  :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Crusarius

Ahh living in a place called butt(e) would be icing on the cake :)

Thank You Sponsors!