iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which skidder?

Started by tripg1968, September 08, 2017, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripg1968

Hi everyone this is my 1st post here and I have a question. I do some small scale cut and skid logging and am looking at cable skidders. I found an 80s tree farmer c5 with a 353 detroit and a 70s john deere 440a. Which one do you like better???

coxy

first welcome to the FF    the 440 is nice but vary tippy the treefarmer is also nice a little heavier and more stable how are the parts for the treefarmer easy or hard to find  for the record I never ran a treefarmer  so I cant give much info on that  but have run the 440a and b if I was going to buy a small skidder that's what I would get and if I logged flat ground but most of my logging is vary steep 

lopet

I have ran both in my early days. I guess they have pro's and con's just like anything else, while the deere is easier to get on and off and is more operator friendly is the C5 more of a dinosaur but yes way more stable.  John Deere part are insane from what I have heard , Tree Farmer parts are a lot available at NAPA.  My C5 has the Deutz in it, which I like because of it's low end torque, but hey if you're a Detroit man you're a Detroit man.
I guess it all comes down to what money you wanna spend on what skidder.  Sometimes it's obvious what it needs and sometimes you find out later. ;D
Good luck with your decision.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mike_belben

In my case theres the obvious what it needs now, and the soon to be discovered.. What it needs later!
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

As stated both have there advantages in certain areas. I personally would pick the Treefarmer. There's nothing wrong with a Detroit Diesel if you like the noise, nothing a good set of earmuffs can't fix :D. The biggest downfall for the Deere is parts, what is not obsolete is insanely expensive. Good luck with whatever you decide and we FF members like pic's! 

OH logger

ive hardly ever ran an older timberjack but a lot of folks here love em. like a 230 size model. sorry if I just threw another turd in the punch bowl
john

tripg1968

No A TJ 230 is what i would love to get but they go for more $$$. I looked at a nice 230 today the guy had 2 TF c5d skidder too. The TFs were in good shape as well for THOUSANDS less, all with 353s in them. theyll all pull wood. The TJ was just nicer. Way easier to get on and off of, and just a super stable design. But...money is money ya know?!

Spartan

Don't take a shortcut on the front end, only to lose your shorts on the back end.  If they are hard to get parts for and costly, that can break you more than higher initial cost.  Also, the faster machine will make you more money as well.  If you can go more places with it, spend less time on it and wear yourself out less, you can come out ahead rather than scoffing at a payment that is $250 a month more.  That being said, on average I pay 40% less for my TJ parts than my employers do for their same era Cat 518, and they buy more parts than me.  Also that Cat wears me out, rougher ride, higher deck height, hang on harder on sidehills cause its taller.  Wears me out, hate driving it compared to mine.
Food for thought.

Also, prepare to put some time and money into whatever machine you get. 

coxy

Quote from: tripg1968 on September 10, 2017, 06:52:07 PM
No A TJ 230 is what i would love to get but they go for more $$$. I looked at a nice 230 today the guy had 2 TF c5d skidder too. The TFs were in good shape as well for THOUSANDS less, all with 353s in them. theyll all pull wood. The TJ was just nicer. Way easier to get on and off of, and just a super stable design. But...money is money ya know?!
don't worry the bank has millions you haven't got yet  :D

Neilo

Go for the Treefarmer over the A series Deere

tripg1968

Made a deal on a can carr tree farmer c5d. New top end on 353 det. about 6 months ago. New bands in gearmatic 19 winch, good forestry tires. Its a 4spd with hi and lo and reverser. hoping to get the $$ from my friendly banker tmrw.....

Logger RK

I think that's a good choice. But I haven't owned a JD. I guy I know had a 440a. And I'm a Tree Farmer fan. I have a 4,C5D,& C7D. Also one of my Son's has a C5D.

Thank You Sponsors!