iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

large pine

Started by xlogger, September 08, 2017, 08:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I've got a 30 plus inch pine log waiting on me to cut. Nice and clear. I see where in the past Danny said something about quarter sawing one for table tops. If I go this way how thick do most like it?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

LittleJohn

I personally saw to 3-1/4" or 4-3/8", that way if a buyer is not found, I can resaw into 4/4.  I use a Woodmizer, so kerf is minimal

Deese

Danny would probably tell you to saw it 1 3/8" or 1 5/8" thick for tabletops.
I personally would saw it 1 5/8" thick.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

taylorsmissbeehaven

I cut a 36" clear pine log for a fella a few months back. took some serious whittling! All he wanted was two 3" slabs for a bar top. It made tons of 1x side lumber that I sold to a fella that stopped to see the mill for siding. Point being, dont forget about all the nice wood around your tops. Happy sawing, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

LittleJohn

Quote from: LittleJohn on September 08, 2017, 09:32:16 AM
I personally saw to 3-1/4" or 4-3/8", that way if a buyer is not found, I can resaw into 4/4.  I use a Woodmizer, so kerf is minimal
...plus it also gives you some meat to work with when trying to "Flatten" out the beast  ;)

Deese

LittleJohn I have done the same thing, when I don't know what the lumber will be used for. But that's the only time I would do it, because it slows drying time. You can see where I've got some of the thick stuff stacked to the left.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

drobertson

Overall size in my mind dictates the thickness, to a point,,construction techniques another. For pine I like the cathedral look of plain sawn, (flat sawn)  I reckon it's all flat sawn,,duh, Legs and such are commonly q-sawn for stability, but I'm no expert.  I would be inclined to saw 2" at least, close to this, then go from there,, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

Quartersawn pine is nice. I cut a fair amount of it a while back thinking that I might be able to charge a little extra for it when turned into flooring. Well when the side heads of the planer contact those individual growth rings just right it will start peeling the board apart. I also got considerable side bend. I will post a couple of pictures to show what I'm talking about. I will not do it again unless someone pays in advance and understand the amount of loss that is involved. Now for table tops I will let the expert AKA Danny answer.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

xlogger

I would hope that thicker lumber would not do that. I cut the log into two 8 ft sections and live edge slab one of the sections. Not sure how people will like live edge pine but just thinking for something different on the other 8 ft log. So I've heard Danny say some things about live edge table tops, waiting on him now. I did want to let it cool down some to help with blueing on the lumber.  I guess you guys are somewhat getting ready for the hurricane. Looks like we are going to miss it here just going to get some rain. Hope the best for all of you.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

PA_Walnut

Quartersawn pine is great as secondary woods for furniture makers who focus on period pieces. I like sawing it (and using it) thin and wide since it will likely be planed to 1/2 anyway. Must be flat and clear.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

I would quartersaw it using the modified quartersawing technique.  Pretty easy and fast.  You will get about as much rift as quarter grain, but the rift grain in pine is still vertical and looks very nice.  Since there is no ray fleck to expose, it does not pay to take the extra time to try and get each board perfectly quartersawn. 

Basically, square the cant, then cut the center boards out of the cant making sure to get all the juvenile wood into the center boards to minimize side bend.  If you leave the juvenile wood on one side of the cant, it is Side Bend City.  Once you take the center boards out, say two or three boards above and below the pith, that leaves two cants, one from the top and one from the bottom.  Turn these at 90° and saw the boards, turning the cant 180° halfway through.  This will yield all rift and quartersawn grain.  The tight ringed natural pine will yield some beautiful vertical grain.  Here is some that I did like that a few weeks ago. 

As you can see, this log had a good bit of heartwood.  For tabletops, you can go either 1 3/8" or 1 5/8" or 2 3/8".  The thicker stuff gives the tabletop a more massive medieval look, the 1 5/8" will give the Farm Table look that has been popular from Box Store 2x6's, and the 1 3/8" give you a more refined, elegant look.  I have customers that will want one or the other or the other.  If you cut only one thickness, 1 5/8" gives you the most flexibility for other uses.  If you are totally committed dedicated to tabletops, I would not cut much 2 3/8" stuff.  You can also cut some 4" x 4" pieces for leg stock.  Better to cut these free of heart center so that they do not crack and split as bad.  The 4x4's that include the pith are mostly juvenile wood and they will crack and split as well as have more side bend.

So, I would cut a mix of 1 3/8" and 1 5/8" and throw in a few free of heart center 4x4's. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WDH on September 09, 2017, 07:40:13 AM
I would quartersaw it using the modified quartersawing technique.  Pretty easy and fast.  You will get about as much rift as quarter grain, but the rift grain in pine is still vertical and looks very nice.  Since there is no ray fleck to expose, it does not pay to take the extra time to try and get each board perfectly quartersawn. 

Wise words, indeed!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!