iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of starting

Started by Candlex, August 04, 2017, 10:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

We have the same law in MO.  Didn't change a thing though.   ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Candlex

Sorry i disappeared for a bit. Post op wiped me out. Finally getting out n about.

I am curious to see with prices rising of all fuels again...esp with the new war coming, and people becoming more enviromentally involved ie biodiesel on tap, if people actually go back to wood burning.

Everything is so expensive these days. A good daycare here is 700 a mo. I wont put a buncb of effort in firewood, its just hard to waste perfectly good wood. I guess you could use a lot of short pieces for turnings. But i worry too much piddling the wood would go bad on you.

Red oak here doesn't typically get too big, and i was honestly thinking of renting a chipper and makjng oak mulch to pack in the clay to stiffen it up around my pond and make a nice cedar trail around the property. Im sire the deer would like that.

But who knows. My mother n law lives in wash state and she wants wood everything so.

My state isnt very old, and the culture here is indian. So a lot of the terms arent common here. I have never seen a sign that said cords of wood, just ricks.

We did have a huge dustbowl, so most our trees arent that big. And there isnt a lot of old solid wood furniture either, as most were poor farmers or oil field transplants. So peoples perception of what quality here is very low when it comes to furniture.

So i see a future market for things, its just a slow process. Most of the money making is from out of towners who can afford it. From a woodworking prespective.

There are some bbq places tbat buy oak firewood really cheap if you had bulk supply to dump, but unless you got cheap labor i dont see it worth it.

That's why i just want to do as a hobby and for wood working. I love the smells, and its something to keep me busy and away from wife. Lol

Candlex

And a rick here is 4x8x2. So i guess a half cord.

Magicman

But if it is 16" length, then the face cord is 1/3 cord.  That makes the amount contained in a face cord or rick sorta questionable.  Some states such as Oregon by law requires a cubic foot measurement.  Our most common length is ~18" and it is mostly sold by the "pickup load" which contains approximately 1/3 cord.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BradMarks

Any advertising for firewood in Oregon must state: green or seasoned, volume being sold(cord is 4x4x8), and price. And 16" is pretty common so a rick is 1/3 cord, but you cannot advertise "rick".

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: BradMarks on August 21, 2017, 11:59:25 AM
Any advertising for firewood in Oregon must state: green or seasoned, volume being sold(cord is 4x4x8), and price. And 16" is pretty common so a rick is 1/3 cord, but you cannot advertise "rick".
Seems to be a law for just about everything these days.  Capturing rain water, disturbing the land (doesn't matter that you own it) and even how you advertise firewood.  Is it just me or are our elected officials working overtime on useless legislation? 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Thank You Sponsors!