The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Newbie to the site.....  (Read 231 times)

Offline martinkj27

• I'm new!
Newbie to the site.....
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:40 pm »
Hi all!!  This site has a lot of great info.  I have built many post & beam cabins, lawn sheds & lean-to's, but want to dive off into the world of timber framing.  I have a plan to build a lean-to in our woods for the family to enjoy.  Below is the picture that inspired my design.  I plan to use ash timbers and larch decking & siding.  I am in the northeast and the ash bore beetle has moved thru the area hitting the ash trees pretty hard.  I thought it would be great to have a structure made of ash to preserve and show my young daughters what a great wood ash was.  I predict that in 20 years most will have forgotten about ash in our area.  And it is a beautiful wood to boot.  I plan to cut the logs this fall and saw the timbers oversized over the winter.  Stack them to air dry for a year (hopefully only one) then re-saw them to size.   

I have many questions but the one I am trying to figure out today is would it be better to design the frame like I have pictured below with only the two end bents and a ridge pole? Or would four bents with horizontal purlins?
What made me think of this is if I build four bents, I will only need two 16' beams for the long sills.  If I build it as pictures I will need a few more 16' beams.

Again, the foot print is 10'x16' with a 3' ash back wall and 6-7' head room under the front tie beam.

I may be putting the cart before the horse, if you think so i appreciate consecutive criticism.

Thanks!
Marty

Offline Brian_Weekley

• I am Batman!
Re: Newbie to the site.....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:30:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Martin.

This link might be helpful--my woodshed is smaller (about 8x14), but somewhat similar in design:

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,83856.msg1280895.html#msg1280895
e aho laula

Offline martinkj27

• I'm new!
Re: Newbie to the site.....
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 12:35:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Martin.

This link might be helpful--my woodshed is smaller (about 8x14), but somewhat similar in design:

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,83856.msg1280895.html#msg1280895

Thanks Brian!  Thats a nice wood shed.  I will concider that type of rafter/truss design for my build.