The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: I found this big fellow today...  (Read 1260 times)

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
Re: I found this big fellow today...
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 08:31:11 am »
Doesn't look prehistoric enough for a baby snapping turtle, to me.
Find something to do that interests you.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 08:33:45 am »
   They are amazing animals even though they are often a pain. They will catch young  ducks and other waterbirds I have been told at times. They "fish" by laying in the water with their mouth open and have a little device on their tongue that wiggles and looks like a worm or grub as a lure. The fish sees it and swims right in, turtle snaps and sushi for dinner. I have caught big alligator snappers who were filled with big river mussels they had eaten. apparently just crush up shells and all. They can travel long distances overland so they inhabit even remote ponds and such.

You have to be careful with any of them but I am told the common smaller (Smooth shelled version) is actually more aggressive than the alligator (Larger, 3 ridges on top of shell) version. From the ones I have handled that seems the case. I hooked 2-3 this year on catfish lines (Bushhooks/limblines) using live bream for bait. I don't think I ever got a hoof free from one and ended up just cutting the hook off and releasing them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 12:06:45 pm »
I came across (I'm guessing here) about a 25ish pounder a few years ago walking up a dirt road, at least a mile away from any water source, like Toddspoint stated I threw it in a stock tank to clean it out.  I ran out of time so it was let go to live another year, we were in the middle of harvest then but really did want to try turtle.  Oh, and yes they can jump, a lot further and faster than you'd think  :D.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 12:38:42 pm »
   ... said the man with 4 fingers and a nub. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 09:07:28 am »
 :D :D :D Nope still got em all  ;D